"Budapest" Budapest by pedroswift

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,634 reviews and 17,806 photos

Essential Tourist Information

What can I write about Budapest that has not already been stated ( make that 'over-stated') in vt pages??
Here is something of a practical nature which may help one or two tourists with similar tastes as ourselves. "Taste" is the operational word.
Do you drink bottled water during you travels? We tend to do so and were disappointed with the mineral-tainted taste of several of the brands available in Budapest. We favoured the brand "Szentkiralyi" because it tasted like real water Look for a pink lid ! ...pink indicates "still" water: blue the gassy stuff.

Lion or Horse's bottom

Here are some additions to the "over-statements" mentioned.
Your overall impression of Budapest can easily be colored by unpleasant touristic experiences.
Do you want to remember the "Lion" or the "Horses Ars*"??? When recalling your visit.
It is no coincidence that there are a couple of hundred entries in the VT data base on Budapest under the "Dangers and Warnings" heading. It is well worth reading the ones on pickpockets and on the transport system.

We opted to purchase 72 hour transport passes for the equivalent of about 21 dollars Australian each. This prevents the often reported problems with validation/inspection of single tickets. We observed other tourists being hassled as per the V.T. warnings. click to read Tip on example of recent railway scam.
If you are over 65 years old and have heard about the free travel for oldies but not from an EU country, don't try to ride the public transport system without a ticket.The fine is more than the cost of two 72 hour passes. Read vter breughel's comments By the way fines for failing the ticket test are 16,000 HUF (since January 2013) that is around 55 ? !!! too much for this little puppy not to comply with the rules.

Dishonest Taxi Drivers. Our hotel was located 650 metres from Kelti Station but the very pushy taxi driver who started off by grabbing our luggage quoted ?15 for the 2 minute trip when I showed him the address. Suggest you know exactly how far your hotel is from your arrival point. (Google Earth can help).

For the first time ever, I had the experience of someone trying to pick my pocket. Silly me had wallet in deep side pocket. I usually don't carry it during big city touristic activities. Money and cards were in pouch under my clothing. Had wallet as well. Trouble is the bulge of wallet can be easily seen against thigh.
However, the deep side pocket was no deterrent to the well dressed gentleman behind me on the little bus traversing the Castle Hill area. Bus was over-crowded and we were last on board. It was a real crush with lots of bodies crammed together.... Alert! Alert! Prime situation for pickpockets.
While we were waiting for the next stop and doors to open, the long-fingered-one slid two fingers into my pocket and had the wallet between said fingers (still in my pocket) waiting for me to take the step down to door level once the folding doors opened inwards. My pocket would move down and wallet would stay.
I felt the weight removed from the bottom of my pocket. So when the door folded inwards, I took a sudden step backwards and "accidentally" placed my elbow into his rib cage.....with some force...felt weight returned to my pocket. Also felt the weight of the ribs looked him in the eye but he avoided eye contact...guilty yer honour!
Lesson learned (nearly the hard way) : Went back to leaving wallet in hotel safe.

• Pros:beautiful city
  • Cons:scam artist central
  • Last visit to Budapest: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Thank you for your information!

• pedroswift's Profile Photo
      Jan 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Thanks Aleksandra for visiting my pages. Hope to visit your country one day. Have a great 2014.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
      Jan 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Welcome! I wish you a happy 2014.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My one visit to Budapest was 45 years ago. I really must return sometime, especially since I still have some (distant) relatives there.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo
      May 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It was our first trip east of Krakow. Amazing how vt Europe Meets have broadened our horizons. Pity we can not get further east this year.

“"ski forever!" ski= spend the kid's inheritance”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?

Latest Activity in Budapest