"LIPARI" Lipari by pedroswift
Lipari Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 11 photos
Delighted with our week's stay in an apartment within 50 paces of the water's edge at Marina Corta the southern port of the town of Lipari. We took day trips to the other Aeolian Islands and did a taxi tour of Lipari Island itself. Our main quest was a look at the volcano,Stromboli but the evidence of volcanic activity is everywhere in the island group.
The gob-smacking beauty of the Aeolians is not to be missed. No wonder the group has UNESCO World Heritage Listing.
Marina Corta seems to be a better place to stay than the northern part of town, Marina Lunga, which features the heavy inter-island boat traffic and the bus depot.
Loved the choice of waterfront restaurants at Piazza Ugo S. Onofrio ( Marina Corta).
Being an amateur fisherman and interested by all things nautical, I was rapt with the comings and goings of the fishing fleet. Of great interest to me, having heard of but having never seen before, a boat used to harpoon spada or swordfish, probably the most popular fish dish on Sicilian restaurant menus. The boat features a fish spotter on a high mast and a bowsprit three times the boat length so the harpooner can get close to the fish on the surface before the boat wakes it up.
The activity of the port, and the people from the tourist boats and the visiting yachts are all watchable from shady vantage points enhanced by beer/wine and coffee service.
- Pros:Good base to see Isole Eolie
- In a nutshell:Laid back Island Life
On the Piazza at Marina Corta overlooking all the local action, Al Pescadore was good enough for us to return for a... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Lipari Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lipari
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Lipari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lipari
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos