"Chalon" Chalon-sur-Saône by pedroswift
Chalon-sur-Saône Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
"Who the hell's Nicephore Niepce?" you may well ask.
If you are a committed VTer, you have up loaded photographs to the site. What do you know about the photographic process pre-digital?? Be advised that a son of Chalon invented the photographic process (among other inventions). Niepce, Joseph N. & and his brother, Claude experimented as early as 1813 and eventually discovered the process. Of course, Niepce missed out on getting full recognition for his efforts due to a arrangement made with Daguerre and his untimely death in 1833 prior to the public unvieling of "photography". For anyone even remotely interested in photography the Niepce Museum in Chalon is worth detouring to visit.
Situated on the Saone river east of the famous Burgundy wine region, Chalon has been (and still is to a certain extent) on the major communication route between the Mediterranean and Paris. Nearby there are canals connecting several navigation systems that used to carry much commercial traffic: The Canal de Bourgogne linking the Saone/Rhone to the Seine and the North Sea. The canal du Centre linking the Saone to Canal Lateral Loire and the Seine. Plus systems to move traffic north and north east to join the Rhine in Germany. Today the water traffic is mostly pleasure craft including larger cruise boats plying the Rhone and Saone.
Although not the most "touristy" city in the region, Chalon does have a most harmonious "old town" with half-wooden houses, significant buildings, the important Museum devoted to the development of photography up to & including digital and the Saone River itself.
Cruising the Rhone and Saône Rivers ??????
Looking to Get to or from CDG Airport to the Cruise Terminal in Chalon?? check the review in Transport Tips - URL:http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/228581/
Saint-Vincent Square: Has a fine group of half-timbered houses (15 th and 18 th centuries) and features the modern fountain in the photo above. Plenty of eating and drinking opportunities on the square.
Rue Saint-Vincent : A wooden replica of a statue of Christ by Michelangelo can be seen at the corner of the Rues du Pont and du Chatelet.
Rue du Châtelet :At no 57, the House of the 4 Seasons, built in 1657, depicts the 4 seasons and allegorical figures.
Rue de Strasbourg: Cross the bridge over the Saone River to the Isle St Laurent to enjoy the trendy pavement cafés and restaurants. During Summer it is full-on with a huge choice of dining establishments.
- Pros:Central location for exploring the area - eg Bourgogne
- In a nutshell:Birthplace of the photographic process
We stayed at Hotel Saint Georges for two nights in Summer 2012 because it was located a couple of hundred metres from... more travel advice
Not a shop : A dispensing machine Special? Unique to France? Who knows? In a land where UHT Milk rules - fresh milk has... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Chalon-sur-Saône Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Chalon-sur-Saône
- Hotels in Chalon-sur-Saône
- Transportation in Chalon-sur-Saône
- Restaurants in Chalon-sur-Saône
- Shopping in Chalon-sur-Saône
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chalon-sur-Saône
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Chalon-sur-Saône?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chalon-sur-Saône
Photos in Chalon-sur-SaôneSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 101 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Latest Chalon-sur-Saône hotel reviews
- Quality Hotel Saint Georges-Chalon-sur-Saone
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013