"Gisborne" Top 5 Page for this destination Gisborne by pedroswift
Gisborne Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 86 photos
Gisborne (Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa), located at the northern end of Poverty Bay, is where Captain James Cook first stepped ashore in New Zealand on October 8, 1769.
The white cliff headland of Young Nick's Head is prominent at the southern end of the bay. It is believed that this headland was the first part of New Zealand sighted by a crewman of Cook's ship "Endeavour".
To quote from my copy of Cook's Log of his first voyage,"At noon the S.W. point of Poverty bay, which I have named Young Nicks head (after the boy who first saw this land) bore N.by W. distance 3 or 4 leagues".
Dominating the city between the port and the northern point of the bay, Kaiti Hill provides magnificent views of the town, the fertile hinterland and the bay itself.
Visitors to Gisborne should check out the memorials to Cook and Young Nick on the beach front and the memorials on Kaiti Hill. A visit to the "I" for Information (Tourist Bureau) will help in researching history.
Eastland (Gisbourne) Tourist Site,
209 Grey Street, Gisborne.
Ph 06 868 6139
approx Lat:Long: 38º40’20.00”S ; 178º01’13.30”E
My navigator and I took great delight in the décor of The Works Café and the welcome we received when we walked through... more travel advice
A promise by the proprietor of the Whispering Sands Motel that we would not be disappointed by The Fettuccine Brothers... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Gisborne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is"
- "a short stay"
- "Gisborne NZ"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gisborne
- Hotels in Gisborne
- Transportation in Gisborne
- Nightlife in Gisborne
- Restaurants in Gisborne
- Shopping in Gisborne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gisborne
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Gisborne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gisborne
Photos in GisborneSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos