"SUNSHINE COAST" Maroochydore by pedroswift
Maroochydore Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 232 photos
Central Sunshine Coast River Town.
Several very good restaurants attract us to Maroochy a couple of times a year.
Derivation of the Name - "Maroochdore"
The name Maroochydore is derived from two words of the Yuggera (Brisbane River) language, i.e. Muru-kutchi — meaning red-bill, the name of the black swan. Maroochydore is from Murukutchi-dha, the place of the black swan.
The name of the swan abbreviated by Aboriginal usage to Murukutchi, hence Maroochy. This name was not given by local natives, but by Andrew Petrie, an original settler of SE Qld, when on an exploration trip of the coast in 1842. Petrie had two Brisbane River Aboriginal men with him from whom, presumably, he obtained the name. The local name for the swan is Kuluin. The name Maroochydore came into general use in 1884. Perhaps it would have been easier to pronounce had it been given the name 'Koolone'?
- Pros:River - fishing, boating, sailing - at least 2 good eateries
We had an over night stay at this motel when it was called Annie’s Motel. Our sole selection criteria was distance from... more travel advice
Looking for good food in a casual waterside setting at a price more affordable than the top restaurants in Maroochydore.... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Maroochydore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maroochydore...black swan country"
- "MAROOCHYDORE & MOOLOOLABA"
- "Sweetberry's Maroochydore Page"
- "SUNSHINE COAST"
- "A great place to base yourself"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maroochydore
- Hotels in Maroochydore
- Transportation in Maroochydore
- Nightlife in Maroochydore
- Restaurants in Maroochydore
- Shopping in Maroochydore
- Warnings and Dangers in Maroochydore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maroochydore
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Maroochydore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maroochydore
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos