"Bribie Island - an hour away from the big smoke" Top 5 Page for this destination Bribie Island by pedroswift
Bribie Island Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 108 photos
Take a drive to Bribie Island located an hour north of Brisbane: ideal for a day trip. Take the swimming gear. There is a patrolled surf beach for a swim on the eastern side of the island at Woorim. Woorim is an Aboriginal word for kangaroo.
Have lunch at the Woorim Surf Club or one of the other establishments scattered around the Island.
Yes I do own the painting, one of several featuring the Glasshouse Mountains that dominate the scenery in this part of SE Queensland. Artist , Noel Ward lives in a suburb of Brisbane close to where I live.
As I can also see the glasshouses from my house on the northern side of Brisbane, I'm reminded on a daily basis of the mountains which were named by Captain James Cook as he sailed past Moreton Bay in 1770.
Derivation of the name "Bribie".
Bribie was named after an ex-convict who lived on the island with the Joondoburi tribe of aborigines. He was endearingly known as "the basketmaker" because of the woven baskets he constructed in which to capture fish and crabs.
Map thanks to translink There is a bus service to/from Caboolture R/way Station and Bribie Shopping Centre and Woorim... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Bribie Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL BRIBIE!"
- "A quiet relaxing place"
- "Weekend at Bribie"
- "BEAUTIFUL BRIBIE"
- "Bribie Island - an hour away from the big smoke"
- "Bribie Island Has Two Sides"
- "Bribie Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bribie Island
- Hotels in Bribie Island
- Transportation in Bribie Island
- Nightlife in Bribie Island
- Restaurants in Bribie Island
- Shopping in Bribie Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Bribie Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bribie Island
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Bribie Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bribie Island
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos