"Best of Both - Surf and Still Water" Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra by pedroswift
Caloundra Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 118 photos
Caloundra Bar where the Pumicestone Passage meets the sea.
Walk the coastal path that links Pelican Waters to Currimundi Lakes.
Spend a quiet hour or two fishing from the Boardwalk at Bulcock Beach. The set up is superb. Seats, rod holders and if you catch a fish - a fish cleaning table. (ha! The table doesn't actually clean the fish - you have to do that yourself but the table is stainless steel with running water). Bait and fishing gear available at shops nearby!!
On a windy day, check out the kite surfers. Great entertainment while having a coffee across the road at The Coffee Club , perhaps.
Click on "Videos " at >>>right of page to see kite-surfer in action.
Ships berthing at the Port of Brisbane have to traverse Moreton Bay. Caloundra Headland has always been an important "mark" for ships entering the port. There is a requirement for ships to pass on the sea-ward side of a beacon located 3 nautical miles off the heads before turning south-west towards the land to pass on the beach side of a beacon located to the south. This ensures ships do not strike Brays Rocks located 2 nautical miles south-east of the heads. You will see surf breaking on these rocks when wind and tide are right.
The navigable passage along the Bribie Island shore starts just under 2 nautical miles off the beach so ships seem to be "too close to the land".....great for ship watchers!
Golden Beach Caloundra has an important navigation mark for big ships - a tall white tower which is the back marker of a pair of towers forming leads to help ships navigate the North West Channel into Moreton Bay. There is smaller front tower located 1.5 nautical miles to the south east on Bribie Island.
- Pros:Still water activities and surfing beaches
- In a nutshell:Great place for both romantic breaks & family holidays
We recently (Jan 2013) celebrated a significant anniversary at Tides which could well be one of the best restaurants in... more travel advice
After a recent (Jan 2013) three night stay in a studio apartment at the OVR, we came home promising ourselves to “do it... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Caloundra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caloundra, Queensland, Australia"
- "CALOUNDRA BY THE SEASIDE!"
- "A great laid back area of Queensland."
- "Best of Both - Surf and Still Water"
- "Lots of Holidays at Caloundra"
- "Tranquil Beauty"
- "Sunshine Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caloundra
- Hotels in Caloundra
- Transportation in Caloundra
- Restaurants in Caloundra
- Shopping in Caloundra
- Warnings and Dangers in Caloundra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caloundra
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Caloundra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caloundra
- Posted in Travel Nimbin Forum "Re: Toilets & eating houses"
- Commented on one of pedroswift's Caloundra tips
- Wrote a Review Good Food with a Waterfront View in Caloundra Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Central Location with a view"
- updated a Caloundra Travel Page "Best of Both - Surf and Still Water"
- Uploaded a Video to Caloundra
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos