"COOLUM BEACH - MOUNT COOLUM - COOLUM" Coolum Beach by pedroswift
Coolum Beach Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 27 photos
The seaside town of "Coolum Beach" is dominated by the volcanic plug, Mt. Coolum. I'm always fascinated by the brooding nature of the mountain and if I lived very close to it I'm sure I would be paying regular deep respect to the Spirits of the Mountain.
According to local historians, "The origin of the name Coolum appears to be derived from the Aboriginal word 'gulum' or 'kulum' meaning 'blunt' or 'headless'. This is assumed to refer to the shape of Mount Coolum, which has no peak. According to Aboriginal legend, Ninderry knocked off Coolum's head and it fell into the ocean and is now Mudjimba Island."
Mudjimba Island (Old Woman Island) lies offshore about 6 kms to the south-south east.
Ninderry is a mountain about 9 kms west of Coolum.
I'm impressed by Coolum as a holiday location. Enough accommodation and eating establishments without being over-the-top-full-on no-where-to-park places like Noosa or Mooloolaba.
There is even a beach-front camping area. How good is that?
The data base of the VT site has two places listed in which information for this place commonly known as"Coolum" can be placed.
The vt maps show an offshore position for the place listed as "Coolum Beach" (I assume that's an extension of "Beach" even if underwater).
The other location is just north of the physical feature "Mount Coolum" and is just "coolum". All very confusing.
My Restaurant Reviews are below because they are "Coolum Beach" located... except for a great little restaurant at Peregian Springs (4kms north of Coolum Beach) because I couldn't find "Perigian Springs" in the vt data base..
- Pros:Laid-back beach holiday location.
- In a nutshell:Beach without touristic over-development
Looking for lunch or dinner while holidaying on the Sunshine Coast? Benchmark at Perigian Springs is well worth the... more travel advice
Castro’s is a long established institution in Coolum providing Australian Cuisine with a Mediterranean touch offering... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Coolum Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COOLUM BEACH - MOUNT COOLUM - COOLUM"
- "COOLUM BEACH"
- "Coolum Beach - the laid back capital of QLD"
- "Coolum Daze"
- "COOLUM BEACH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coolum Beach
- Hotels in Coolum Beach
- Nightlife in Coolum Beach
- Restaurants in Coolum Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coolum Beach
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Coolum Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coolum Beach
Photos in Coolum BeachSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos