"Killarney" Killarney by pedroswift
Killarney Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 59 photos
Killarney, is not often mentioned as a "must-see destination" when Australian tourist places are discussed. Located in the Warwick Shire, just 2 hours drive south west from Brisbane, the sleepy little town is a centre for transport, timber, agriculture and pastoral industries. Early Irish settlers named the town after their home in Ireland. Killarney was surveyed in 1878.
On the touristic side, it is a portal to the Scenic Rim of South Eastern Queensland. The rim is formed by the mountain ranges stretching from north of the Toowoomba Range , south to the Queensland- New South Wales border and east along that border to disappear into the sea at Point Danger on the Gold Coast.
As the local web site says,"The rolling foothills, deep secluded valleys and dramatic waterfalls provide picture postcard views that will stir your imagination when you visit Killarney, Queensland".
flow into the sea at Lake Alexandrina in South Australia.
Australia's mightiest river system the Murray-Darling Basin draws water from all of the eastern states and the Condamine River which trickles down from the ranges east of Killarney feeds into that system.
I can not think of a better quest than to seek the headwaters of the Condamine while in the area.
I have been on similar quests while on holidays but they have cost more in time and money..... seeking the source of the Rhine, the Danube and the Doubs (eastern France).
We managed to get as close to the headwaters as possible without straying onto private property. We will do some coordination before the next visit and get permission to follow the creek further towards the head.
I note that Google Earth marks the actual start of the Condamine R. as the head of a dry gulley (in the pic above) close to the rim adjacent to Teviot Falls. Who ever bookmarked that spot has found the "most convenient" head of the Condamine. There appears to be a longer branch* with water flowing in it from the hills to the north west. * ie the source of that water is further from the confluence than the "convenient" spot.
- Pros:Wonderful Scenery
Take the "low" road from The Head back to Killarney via the Cambanoora Gorge (Condamine Gorge) if you have a four... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Killarney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KILLARNEY in AUSTRALIA"
- "Irish Heritage Australian village. Drama beyond."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Killarney
- Hotels in Killarney
- Warnings and Dangers in Killarney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Killarney
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Killarney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Killarney
Photos in KillarneySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 63 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue