"Warrego Highway Road Stop" Marburg by pedroswift
Marburg Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 6 photos
Marburg is a small village (population 1,100) located on/near the Warrego Highway about half way between Brisbane and Toowoomba.
Named after Marburg, in Saxony, Germany, probably by one or a group of German settlers in the area in 1860s. Possibly named at the suggestion of J.L. Friedrich the local storekeeper.
Situated approximately halfway between the cities of Brisbane and Toowoomba it has always been a popular stopping spot for travellers on that road.
more info on Marburg
Now the Highway bypasses the township but the Outback Muster Cafe & the co-sited Flowers with Expression can be easily accessed by road trippers travelling in either direction.
Before the Warrego Highway was upgraded and straightened in the late 1960’s the main road to Toowoomba passed through the township and snaked its way over the Marburg Range and the nearby Minden Range. I was on intimate terms with every bend in that old winding road back then. I was what was known as a “Marburg Flyer”. The “M Flyers” were the Friday afternoon/ early Monday morning commuters who headed from “places west” to the bright lights of Brisbane City every weekend.
Now days I'm reminded of "Marburg" several times a week. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has a remote radar site on the top of the Marburg Range. Access to weather radar pictures.
- Pros:Ideal spot for comfort break and coffee or a meal.
pedroswift's Related Pages
Marburg Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Marburg
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Marburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marburg
Photos in MarburgSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos