"Central Sunshine Coast - Mooloolaba" Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba by pedroswift

Mooloolaba Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 394 photos

Mooloolaba is one of the Sunshine Coasts hot spots. It features a variety of accommodation options focused upon the beach front Esplanade and a plethora of co-located dining establishments and coffee shops.
Add an estuary with yachting facilities and fiherman's coop; a variety of beach-scapes ranging from the curved sandy bay to rocky promontory and add the overall good weather all year-round and you have a holiday venue as good as it gets.
It's not all upmarket luxury accommodation either. Mooloolaba hosts a council run camping area right on the beachfront with un-interrupted views north to Noosa Heads and south across the bay to Point Cartwright.

MOO-LOO-LA-BA is pronounced much as it looks:
"moo" like a cow. "loo" rhyming with moo. "la" = larh. "ba" as in a place to buy a beer ie 'bar'.
The names is thought to have originated from the local aboriginal language - "mulu" meaning snapper fish or "mullu" meaning red bellied black snake.
White settlement saw the river named "Mooloolah" and subsequent development of a township 20 kms inland on that river also called "Mooloolah". The township near the mouth of the river was called Mooloolah Heads until 1921 when the first blocks were put up for sale. The area was renamed Mooloolaba to differentiate between the two places.

• Intro Updated Mar 26, 2010

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM

nice page and pics! I used to base up here quite often with my encyclopedia sales crew and off we would go hit the suburbs or hit the beaches and all the other sites....indeed a lovely spot to be in. Now my brother has moved from NZ with his family and live not far from here so go here quite often....always surprising how life turns out!

• pedroswift's Profile Photo
      Jan 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Hi Angela, tnx. Our daughter lives on the Sunshine Coast so we are often up that way if only to babysit. Perhaps our paths may cross in the future. Have a good 2014. de p

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nice tips

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Funny name for a town -- but I'm sure it seems perfectly normal to people who live there or go there on vacation. (We used to spend our summers in a place called Minocqua, Wisconsin, so I guess I shouldn't talk.)

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM

That is one thing I do not know much about in this area...accommodation. good info

pedroswift

“"ski forever!" ski= spend the kid's inheritance”

Badges & Stats in Mooloolaba

Have you been to Mooloolaba?