"Mount Surprise" Mount Surprise by pedroswift
Mount Surprise Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Mt Surprise is the easternmost town on the Gulf Developmental Road which services the Gulf Savannah Land. A railway town on the Cairns to Forsayth Railway line, it is the closest town to the Undara Lava Tubes so tourists using the Railway often leave the line at this point to visit the Tubes. The great distances between towns in the region make it a natural stopping point to freshen up at the pub or for an overnight at the caravan park or the motel. Local Savannah Guides are available for tours to the Lava Tubes, Cobbold Gorge and cattle properties.
The area is known for its gem stones. Topaz, garnet, aquamarine and other stones can be found by fossickers with the appropriate licence. Don't have time to fossick. Visit the gem shop in town and buy a stone or stones in a setting.
approx coordinates (Google Earth): 18º08'50"S, 144º19'06"E
The area was named by Ezra Firth who took up 300 square miles there in 1864.
In the book " North Queensland Pioneers" Jane Black wrote of the Firth's arrival in the area: 'It was there at the foot of the mountain that the blacks were surprised in the middle of a feast by the rattle of the dray on the basalt and the sight of white people. They fled into the scrub on the mountain. That night small fires were seen all over the mountain, and that is how Mount Surprise got its name.'
Indigenous Tribes ? Tagala, Janga, Ewamin and Kutjal tribes
- Pros:Gateway to lava tubes
- In a nutshell:Stop for a wet!
pedroswift's Related Pages
Mount Surprise Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Surprise
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Mount Surprise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Surprise
Photos in Mount SurpriseSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos