"Normanton, Railway Buff's Mecca" Normanton by pedroswift
Normanton Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 44 photos
But Normanton does have an antique rail motor that does a weekly trip to Croydon and during the "tourist season" a couple of shorter trips for an evening BBQ or a daytime bush tea and damper experience. Railmotor
As well as that it is on the road to Karumba one of the few gulf townships accessible by road in a non-four wheel-drive automobile during the dry season. Gulf Savannah page.
First came the name "Norman River" from Frederick Walker, one of the many explorers who went looking for Burke and Wills. He discovered and named the Norman River after the captain of a ship named 'Victoria'. Then in 1867 William Landsborough sailed up the Norman river and chose the site for the settlement of Normanton.
Read more history including the ill-feted expedition of Burke and Wills 1861.
Normanton has a Heritage Listed Jail
- Pros:A Must for Train Spotters
- Cons:Not the "Big Smoke"
- In a nutshell:On the road to Karumba
Sorry I have never stayed overnight so can not review the accommodation but if you visit on Saturday at lunch time there... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Normanton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NORMANTON ..in the Queensland Gulf Country.."
- "Normanton, Railway Buff's Mecca"
- "Normington - Home of the Famous Purple Pub"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Normanton
- Hotels in Normanton
- Transportation in Normanton
- Restaurants in Normanton
- Warnings and Dangers in Normanton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Normanton
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Normanton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Normanton
Photos in NormantonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 63 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue