"Pt Lincoln:home of Aust's most feted sports star" Port Lincoln by pedroswift
Port Lincoln Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 207 photos
Would you believe that this relatively out-of-the-way town on the southern end of the Eyre Peninsular is populated by more millionaires per square inch than any other town in Australia. The wealth is the result of the fishing industry which provides high grade Tuna to the Japanese market (as well as other fish, shell fish and crustaceans).
Money begets money.
One of the local Tuna fishermen, Tony Šantić, owns a UK bred race horse named Makybe Diva which is the pride of the town.
She is the highest stakes-earner in Australian horse racing history, with winnings of more than AUD14 million.
With her 2005 win, Makybe Diva became the only racehorse to have won the Melbourne Cup three times. (Also winning in successive years). Makybe Diva is one of only five horses to have won the Cup more than once in the long history of the event, which was first run in 1861.
The Melbourne Cup is known as "The race that stops a nation".
It is a race for three-year-olds and over, over a distance of 3,200 metres and is the richest and most prestigious "two-mile" handicap in the world.
At around ten to 3 pm on the first Tuesday in November each year everyone in Australia stops to watch or listen to "The Cup".
Funny name: Makybe Diva -
Tony Šantić named her after five of his employees - Maureen, Kylie, Belinda, Diane, and Vanessa - by taking the first two letters from each of their names. How good is that?
Today you can see a statue of the mare on the sea front in Port Lincoln.
A very good reason to visit the Eyre Penninsula is to gormandise on fresh oysters. The farmed oysters from Coffin Bay... more travel advice
Port Lincoln has more millionaires per head of population than any town in Australia. This is due to the Tuna Industry.... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Port Lincoln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT LINCOLN - SEAFOOD CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Port Lincoln"
- "PORT LINCOLN"
- "Pt Lincoln:home of Aust's most feted sports star"
- "Escape and Relax by the sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Lincoln
- Hotels in Port Lincoln
- Restaurants in Port Lincoln
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Lincoln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Lincoln
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Port Lincoln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Lincoln
Photos in Port LincolnSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos