"Warwick - on the way to *.*: but worth a stop" Warwick by pedroswift
Warwick Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 117 photos
I have been attracted by Warwick several times during the last few years mainly because of its convenient location 160kms south west of Brisbane. Warwick is located on the junction of the New England and Cunningham Highways. The New England provides the quickest route from Brisbane to Sydney and the Stanthorpe Wine Region.
The Cunningham Highway continues west to Goondiwindi. Goonabloodywoondi is beside the MacIntyre River on the Queensland/New South Wales border and is located at the junction of the Newell, Cunningham, Leichhardt, Barwon, Bruxner and Gore Highways. The Newell Highway traverses central western New South Wales and provides a convenient route from south east Queensland to Victoria and South Australia.
Warwick, therefore, is the logical stop for a cup of coffee and cake after a dawn departure from Brisbane on the way to any of the above mentioned places.
However, my last visit was purely to take in the city and surrounds. Warwick features many old stately buildings all in a good state of repair. The town is worth a visit in its own right.
Several times we have chosen to stop for a break at Palms on Palmerin cafe opposite the city hall. Palmerin Street is the main street. Look for the palm trees!
You can eat inside or outside Palms in the sun if the weather is conducive. The fine old Town Hall building provides a backdrop and you can people-watch as the pedestrian crossing to the town shopping mall is near by. I've been impressed also by the memorial to one of the cities stalwarts, George Powell Barnes who has a flashing aero-beacon located at the top of the town hall in his honour....how good is that?
More on Warwick
Patrick Leslie and his two brothers originally settled in the area as squatters, naming their run Canning Downs. In 1847 the NSW government asked Patrick Leslie to select a site on his station for a township, which was to be called 'Cannington'. The local Aborigines knew the area as “Gooragooby”, but the name Warwick was chosen.
In 1983 Warwick remembered this famous son by establishing a Jackie Howe Memorial at the Jackie Howe Rest Area on the corner of Glengallan Road and the Cunningham Highway. It is notable for the large shears at the top.
The plaque on the memorial recalls: 'He learned the art of blade shearing in the woolsheds of this district before moving to Central Queensland in the 1800s.
'At Alice Downs, Blackall, on 10 October 1892 he shore a total of 321 sheep in a standard working day of eight hours and thereby established a record that was never equalled by blade shearers.
'By adopting a sleeveless shirt which facilitated the action of the blade shearer he gave his name to its modern counterpart: the Jackie Howe singlet.'
Don't go home without a Jackie Howe Singlet!
- Pros:Convenient coffee stop on the road south and west
- In a nutshell:City of Roses and Rodeos
There are warning signs at Leslie Dam ( and other Queensland waterways) about the possible risk to your health from Blue... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Warwick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CAPITAL OF CAMPDRAFTING"
- "Warwick for Roses"
- "Warwick - on the way to *.*: but worth a stop"
- "Warwick - Rodeo Town"
- "Warwick,Rose and Rodeo City. Plse Visit Killarney."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warwick
- Hotels in Warwick
- Restaurants in Warwick
- Warnings and Dangers in Warwick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warwick
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Warwick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warwick
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Merry Christmas!"
- Commented on one of pedroswift's Warwick tips
- updated a Warwick Travel Page "Warwick - on the way to *.*: but worth a stop"
- Wrote a Review Don't let the Blue Green Algae get Ya!! in Warwick Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't let the Blue Green Algae get Ya!!"
Photos in WarwickSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos