"Save Locks - Build a Tunnel thru' the Hill" Niderviller by pedroswift
Niderviller Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
It is remote. There are no people in the shot. Access is denied to walkers, cyclists, canoeists and motorist. The only way to get a Virtual Tourist Flag there is in your motor boat.
there is light at the end of the tunnel! to left of VT Flag.
At the top of the Canal de la Marne-au-Rhin, in North Eastern France 50 kms north west of Strasbourg, a couple of tunnels cut through the hills have saved constructing numerous locks to get boats over the hill top.
The photo above is taken inside the 470m Niderviller Tunnel by crew person A.T. Your scribe is busy steering the boat.
Two tunnels: Niderviller and the Arzviller Tunnel of 2306 metres length plus the Arzviller inclined-plane boat lift make for an interesting days voyage by canal cruiser.
By stowing boats in a giant bath-tub and then pushing the tub 136 metres sideways up and down the hill, a chain of 17 locks spread over 4 kilometres of canal has been made redundant. The vertical lift/fall is 44.5 metres. The savings in water which otherwise is lost in the multi-lock system is worth the engineering required in the lift.
- Pros:Worth a stop on a road trip to check out the boats
- Cons:nothing to report
- In a nutshell:interesting engineering solution to sailing uphill
pedroswift's Related Pages
Niderviller Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niderviller
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Niderviller?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niderviller
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue