"Niffer where Canal from Rhone meets the Rhine" Niffer by pedroswift
Niffer Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
Google "Niffer" and you will get a list of a hundred better places to see and the distance each place is from Niffer.
Because of the unremarkable nature of the place and because we had baguettes delivered to our door, I have never visited the township.
What is remarkable, however, is the lock on the Canal du Rhone-au-Rhin which joins the mighty Rhine River near Niffer.
The lock house was designed by the Swiss architect Le Corbusier and it is a stand-out feature of the area. It has been open to visitors but in May 2010, some cement stairs were crumbling and health and safety considerations precluded us inspecting the building. However, we did have a close encounter by passing through the 14.7 metre deep lock alone in our 12.5m long boat. The lock is huge - big enough to take several commercial barges.
notes on Niffer port in travelogue below.....
- In a nutshell:le Corbusier designed lock building
pedroswift's Related Pages
Niffer Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niffer
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Niffer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niffer
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos