"Art and History" Rueil-Malmaison by pedroswift
Rueil-Malmaison Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 12 photos
Two reasons to visit Rueil-Malmaison are to seek out the area much loved by Impressionest Painters and to visit the chateaux museums dedicated to Napoleon Bonaparte and Josephine.
Situated approx. 14km west of central Paris, Rueil is on the left bank of the Seine: the town of Chatou on the right bank. Between the two villages there is the Isle of Chatou with The Fournaise Hamlet, a community dedicated to keeping alive the memory of the Impressionist Painters and the Poets who frequented the area.
Equally important, in my opinion but I have an interest in the nautical, is the preservation and restoration of the river boats depicted in many of the paintings by the Association Sequana which is quartered on the groundfloor of the Restaurant 'Les Rives de la Courtille'.
Situated on the left bank of the Seine some distance from the river these wonderful museums are a must-see for all fans of the Bonaparte family. See my Paris Off the Beaten Path tip.
Renoir painted his 'Oarsmen at Chatou' from the balcony of the Maison Fournaise . The lunch time scene in the good old days is depicted in his famous painting 'Luncheon of the Boating Party'.
see BeatChick's Chatou Page with review of the restaurant. (now rather than when Renoir was there!)
- Pros:4 or 5 wonderful museums to visit in one area
- Cons:can't think of any
- In a nutshell:Get out of town (Paris) & see some famous river scenery
pedroswift's Related Pages
Rueil-Malmaison Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rueil-Malmaison
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Rueil-Malmaison?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rueil-Malmaison
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 7 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 63 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 9 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue