"Viviers sur Rhone" Viviers by pedroswift
Viviers Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos
Limestone features dominate the area and this ancient town is built atop a ridge overlooking the port. The limestone escarpment has been enhanced to provide defensive features. Sometimes it's hard to tell where nature finishes and man-made starts. The old lookout tower/church bell tower stands out more so than the cathedral when viewed from the flood plain by the port.
Overlooking the whole town is the Statue of the Virgin (right of the pic above).
A walk though the narrow alleyways leading to the top of the hill to visit the cathedral area is worthwhile. Great views of the town and surrounding country side can be had from the ramparts.
see the map in the Travelogue below.
Viviers has a protected port off the Rhone River providing moorings for boats big and small. It is not unusual to find river cruise ships tied up to the outer breakwater. The port provides a natural stopping place for pleasure boat cruisers as well. Camper-cars are also accommodated.
see travelogue below.
- Pros:interesting architecture
- In a nutshell:Fine port
Viviers is overlooked by two statues located on nearby prominent limestone features. The most prominent one, seen from... more travel advice
Here is an opportunity to cross the Escoutay River on a bridge built by the Romans in the second century. Eleven arched... more travel advice
pedroswift's Related Pages
Viviers Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Viviers
- 4 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Viviers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Viviers
Photos in ViviersSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos