"Kashmir, a paradise" Gulmarg by johnbradshawlayfield
Gulmarg Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 212 photos
Gulmarg, or meadow of flowers, is an apt term indeed for this idyllic flower-laden meadow at an altitude of 2,730 metres, in Baramulla district. Situated at a distance of 51 km from Srinagar, it is a saucer-shaped bowl overhanging the main valley of Kashmir. The towering peaks above the meadow are covered with dense forests of tall conifers and gigantic fir and pine trees, all vying with each other to touch the azure skies. An equally popular destination in winter, it is coated with a blanket of thick, soft snow, turning its gentle slopes into some of the finest ski slopes. Surrounded by crests of white, the air seems to sparkle against the ice as skiers flash past in the hush of the snow. The beginner's slope makes learning easy, with perfect snow conditions and a gentle gradient. Trained instructors are available and equipment can be hired. Skating, curling, and ski bobbing are some of the activities offered.
Gulmarg's international lush green golf course is the highest in the world. Equipment is available on hire for the visitor allured by the golf greens here. Gulmarg was once an important trekking base and the Gulmarg-Khilanmarg-Apharwat-Alpather is still a great trek.
Gulmarg's hotels offer accommodation and meals to suit all budgets. A luxurious chalet-type hotel is available. JKTDC has huts on offer at Gulmarg. All these properties require advance booking from Srinagar.
How to Get There
Air : The nearest airport to Gulmarg is in Badgam district.
Rail : The Jammu railway station is the closest in the vicinity.
Road : Gulmarg is a two-hour bus journey from Srinagar. Various modes of transport including chartered conveyance are available from Srinagar bus stand at Batmallo. The journey from Tangmarg can also be undertaken on ponies.
- Pros:Kashmir, beloved paradise, frankly better and cheaper than Switzerland
In summers when there is no snow on the mountains, golf can be played here. There is a golf club 'Gulmarg golf club' . more travel advice
johnbradshawlayfield's Related Pages
Gulmarg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gulmarg - Kashmir Winter Wonderland"
- "India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg"
- "Meadow of Flowers=Gulmarg"
- "Kashmir, a paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gulmarg
- Hotels in Gulmarg
- Transportation in Gulmarg
- Restaurants in Gulmarg
- Shopping in Gulmarg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gulmarg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gulmarg
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gulmarg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gulmarg
Top 10 Pages
- Mumbai Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Minsk Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Asmara Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Blair Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nouakchott Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Pune Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Monrovia Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.