"Jammu, the winter capital of Indian Kashmir" Jammu by johnbradshawlayfield
Jammu Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 109 photos
Jammu district derives its name from the city of Jammu which besides being the winter capital of the state, is known as the city of temples. It is believed that the city was originally founded by Raja Jamboo Lochan who lived in fourteenth century B.C. The Raja had gone out one day for hunting when he happened to witness a tiger and a goat drinking water from one and the same pond. This extraordinary phenomenon set him thinking and he decided to build a city at this site so that the strong and weak could live together in peace and mutual tolerance. Eventually, he founded the city which came to be known as "Jamboo" after his own name. With the passage of time and due to its frequent use the pronunciation of the name got slightly distorted and the city, came to be known as 'Jammu' as it is called now.
Jammu has a domestic airport. You can travel here on air by Indian, Jet Airways, Spice Jet India, Air Sahara, Indigo, Go Air from Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Guwahati, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Lucknow and Agartala.
It is also accessible by trains from the above mentioned cities.
johnbradshawlayfield's Related Pages
Jammu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jammu: not touristy, but interesting. . . .really!"
- "Jammu-Paradise on Earth"
- "Where people of different faiths co exist in peace"
- "four hours in jammu..."
- "Jammu, the winter capital of Indian Kashmir"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jammu
- Hotels in Jammu
- Transportation in Jammu
- Restaurants in Jammu
- Shopping in Jammu
- See All...
Explore the World
- Vishakhapatnam Hotels
- Kos Island
- Bonaire Hotels
- Chennai (Madras)
- Penguin Island Hotels
- Saint Simons Island
- Ayia Napa
- Pulau Bintan
- Kampong Pandan Dalam Hotels
- Shengjin Hotels
- Coney Island
- Muddus Nationalpark
- San Luis Obispo
- San Vicente de la Barquera
- Ripponden Hotels
Badges & Stats in Jammu
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Jammu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jammu
Top 10 Pages
- Mumbai Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Minsk Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Asmara Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Blair Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouakchott Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Pune Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Monrovia Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Jammu hotel reviews