São Paulo Transportation Tips by Lady_Disdain Top 5 Page for this destination
São Paulo Transportation: 84 reviews and 43 photos
You've landed in São Paulo. Now you need to get to São Paulo - the airport is around 25kms away from the city center, in heavy traffic.
Taking a taxi is expensive - if you negociate with the driver beforehand, it is around R$ 75. If you pay by the meter, R$100. If you are unsure, take a prepaid cab from the booths (blue or green). There are lots of hawkers for taxis in the airport - if you are an obvious tourist, you run the risk of paying way too much.
You can also take the "Airport Service" shuttle buses. There are several different lines: Eldorado Shopping Center, to the main hotels, to certain city areas, etc.. The price is R$24 per person (around US$12).
Finally, if you are travelling with little luggage and a tight budget, you can take the shuttle to the nearest metro station (Tatuape) for only R$3 (US$1,5). This is on the blue line - but don't worry, there are maps on the station showing how the different lines connect.
"How do I get from Guarulhos to Congonhas (or vice versa)?"
The easiest, most expensive way is to take a cab. Don't try to bargain with the cab drivers lined up outside the departure gate and asking you if you wan t a cab (the more agressive will try to help you with your luggage before you answer). There is a good chance that you will be ripped off (but if you really want to, try to negociate around R$ 75 or insist that the meter be turned on).
Instead, head over to the booths and prepay your fare. No matter how bad the traffic or what way the driver goes, you've already paid. These cabs are very trustworthy as well.
But the cheapest way is also very easy: shuttle busses. There are plenty of blue and red busses, logoed "Airport Service". The shuttle goes direct, but there are other lines that go to hotels or shopping centers. They charge R$ 24 per passanger.
"How long does it take to get from Congonhas airport to Guarulhos airport?" (or the other way around) is one of the most frequent questions on the São Paulo forum.
The answer is (drumrolls please!): it depends.
If there is no traffic (late at night) then it takes around 40 minutes. If it is rush hour, get confortable because traffic will be very heavy: it will take more than 1.5 hours. At other times, probably around an hour.
Great - you are taking a bus to go somewhere else: Rio, the countryside, Porto Alegre - so many options!
But how do you get to the station? By subway! The subway station is actually inside the bus station - just a long hallway down.
You can get in on any subway station - check the wall maps because you want to get to the Blue Line. The Station is Tiete. Once you leave the train, follow the wall signs pointing to "Rodoviária"
To see everything in the center of S?o Paulo and Paulista (MASP, P?tio do Col?gio, Catedral da S?, etc.) the subway is the best way - traffic can be very heavy and buses are infrequent and badly mantained.
The subway is safe, regular and easy to use (just 5 lines and there are maps on every station showing where they intersect and the stations). There are also maps of the surrounding area with interesting spots marked so you can find your way around when you get off.
But it does get very crowded during rush hour...
More Reviews (18)
- See All Cience and art
- See All Street names
- See All Getting money
- Running in Ibirapuera
- Farmers Market
Lady_Disdain's Related Pages
São Paulo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- "SÃO PAULO - SAMPA - MY BIG URBAN SHELTER"
- "Cidade da Garoa"
- "Who am I to give advice?"
- "São Paulo"
- "Gasoline fumes and roasting meat...aaahhhh!"
- "More on Sao Paulo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Paulo
- Hotels in São Paulo
- Transportation in São Paulo
- Nightlife in São Paulo
- Restaurants in São Paulo
- Shopping in São Paulo
- Warnings and Dangers in São Paulo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hervey Bay Hotels
- Lago di Pusiano Hotels
- Halls Creek
- Laguna La Cocha Hotels
- Shenandoah National Park Hotels
- Prince Edward Island
Badges & Stats in São Paulo
- 23 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 56 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to São Paulo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Paulo
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- São Luís do Paraitinga Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Tulum Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Saquarema Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de São Paulo Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Piracicaba Intro, 6 reviews
- Brazil Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
Latest São Paulo hotel reviews
- Parthenon The Excellence
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Parthenon Saint Lawrence
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Novotel Jaragua Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hilton Sao Paulo Morumbi
- 332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Hotel Caesar SP Int. Airport
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Ibis Sao Paulo Paulista
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Ibis Guarulhos
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Blue Tree Morumbi Convention Center
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Renaissance Sao Paulo
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- NOVOTEL SAO PAULO CENTER NORTE
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Estanplaza Paulista
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Ibis Paulinia
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- Golden Tulip Paulista Plaza
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Avenida Paulista- 17 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Parque Ibirapuera- 32 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Beaches- 10 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Flea markets- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Liberdade - Japan in São Paulo- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Museu do Ipiranga and more Museums- 15 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Museu de Arte de São Paulo- 16 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Churches- 10 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Catedral da Sé- 10 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Edifícios- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
See All São Paulo Things to Do