"Who am I to give advice?" Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo by Lady_Disdain

São Paulo Travel Guide: 852 reviews and 1,745 photos

Why bother?

Is what most people in Brazil would ask if someone was to say they wanted to visit São Paulo. Or just think it was a business trip.

Yes, São Paulo is Brazil's business center. No, that does not mean there is nothing to do in São Paulo.

As everyone has said before, São Paulo has wonderful nightlife, top notch gastronomy, theater, movie theaters and anything else you can imagine.

But what do we do during the day? We go to parks, bike, roller skate, run or just sit around listening to music or reading. We have museums, ethnical neighbourhoods, historical centers, shops (couture or alternative and everything imaginable).

Or we hop in the car for a quick day trip (bate-e-volta) or weekend get away!

São Paulo during the day

I'm sure everyone already knows what to do at night - bar hopping, dancing, theater or just good food. So I'll tell you what to see during the day.

Parks are a wonderful ideia on a sunny weekend. Everyone goes to one - wether it is the huge Ibirapuera park when there is a fair or event, to run in Água Branca or watch the dogs playing in Trianon. There are peoople sun bathing, playing soccer or practicing sports, food vendors - Ibirapuera even has a museum and a huge event hall (where the Bieannual Modern Art exhibit happens).

Street fairs are also common. From farmer's markets (great fruits!) where housewives do the weekly food shopping to antigue fairs (with original documents from the Empire - Brazil was an empire after its Independence!- and sketches from top modernist artists) and plenty of crafts fairs. They are fun, filled with people and interesting vendors.

Of course there is plenty more, so check out the tips!

Quick - in the getaway car!

A long weekend is just the ticket to leave São Paulo - all the locals will go to Campos de Jordão, Itatiai, Ilha Bela or any of dozens of small towns, either on the beach or in the mountains.

And a sunny Sunday just screams for a quick hop to Guarujá or Santos, less than two hours away, to lounge on the beach or have a drink in one of the bars.

The traffic back can be deadly, though.

I'll upload pictures shortly!

• Pros:Culture, food and people
  • Cons:Traffic and poverty
  • Last visit to São Paulo: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2006

• SORHUS's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 4:30 AM

happy belated birthday hope you had a great day

• jesa00's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Olá lady Disdain.. I like your overall page, it has humour and I appreciate you tips on Sao Paulo as I'll be traveling there in October. Any advice for a solo traveller?

• Jun 27, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Also, ATMs shut down at 10pm to discourage express kidnappings.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Hi Beatriz, excellent Sao Paolo tips, perhaps I can get there some day. fergy.

• Valeggua's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 4:58 AM

Thanks for you Sao Paolo tips, I'll definately visit the market next month. I will spent 2 days in Sao Paolo (on my travelling to Uruguay) Greetings Val

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 3:44 PM

I've never seen the word 'licit' used. Very funny! Without photos still a very entertaining and informative page. Thanks!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Wonderful. I imagined Sao Paulo to be a bright, colourful, cheerful and interesting place to be. You have made it come alive, thank you. Carole.

• leandro_aur's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Lady, sua página está muito boa, acredito que muitos turistas usam ela para consultas... Um beijo

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I miss parc Ibirapuera,I miss santa cruz and I miss wonderful pizzas I had there They do it best in Sao Paulo at 1900,specially pizza margarita with rucla.hmmmm..

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 8:35 AM

All is forgiven. For now at least. Just don't let it happen again. Too soon. As in not for 15 more minutes at least. :-)

Lady_Disdain Lives Here!

Lady_Disdain

“Let's go!”

Badges & Stats in São Paulo

Have you been to São Paulo?

Latest Activity in São Paulo