"Who am I to give advice?" Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo by Lady_Disdain
São Paulo Travel Guide: 852 reviews and 1,745 photos
Is what most people in Brazil would ask if someone was to say they wanted to visit São Paulo. Or just think it was a business trip.
Yes, São Paulo is Brazil's business center. No, that does not mean there is nothing to do in São Paulo.
As everyone has said before, São Paulo has wonderful nightlife, top notch gastronomy, theater, movie theaters and anything else you can imagine.
But what do we do during the day? We go to parks, bike, roller skate, run or just sit around listening to music or reading. We have museums, ethnical neighbourhoods, historical centers, shops (couture or alternative and everything imaginable).
Or we hop in the car for a quick day trip (bate-e-volta) or weekend get away!
I'm sure everyone already knows what to do at night - bar hopping, dancing, theater or just good food. So I'll tell you what to see during the day.
Parks are a wonderful ideia on a sunny weekend. Everyone goes to one - wether it is the huge Ibirapuera park when there is a fair or event, to run in Água Branca or watch the dogs playing in Trianon. There are peoople sun bathing, playing soccer or practicing sports, food vendors - Ibirapuera even has a museum and a huge event hall (where the Bieannual Modern Art exhibit happens).
Street fairs are also common. From farmer's markets (great fruits!) where housewives do the weekly food shopping to antigue fairs (with original documents from the Empire - Brazil was an empire after its Independence!- and sketches from top modernist artists) and plenty of crafts fairs. They are fun, filled with people and interesting vendors.
Of course there is plenty more, so check out the tips!
A long weekend is just the ticket to leave São Paulo - all the locals will go to Campos de Jordão, Itatiai, Ilha Bela or any of dozens of small towns, either on the beach or in the mountains.
And a sunny Sunday just screams for a quick hop to Guarujá or Santos, less than two hours away, to lounge on the beach or have a drink in one of the bars.
The traffic back can be deadly, though.
I'll upload pictures shortly!
- Pros:Culture, food and people
- Cons:Traffic and poverty
Most people hurry right past the Santa Catarina Hospital on Av Paulista. But stop for a few minutes to look at the... more travel advice
White stripes look nice against the black pavement, don't they? At least, I hope so, because pedestrian crossings are no... more travel advice
- See All From Guarulhos to the city
- See All Getting money
- Running in Ibirapuera
- Farmers Market
Lady_Disdain's Related Pages
São Paulo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- "SÃO PAULO - SAMPA - MY BIG URBAN SHELTER"
- "Cidade da Garoa"
- "Who am I to give advice?"
- "São Paulo"
- "Gasoline fumes and roasting meat...aaahhhh!"
- "More on Sao Paulo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Paulo
- Hotels in São Paulo
- Transportation in São Paulo
- Nightlife in São Paulo
- Restaurants in São Paulo
- Shopping in São Paulo
- Warnings and Dangers in São Paulo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in São Paulo
- 23 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 56 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to São Paulo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Paulo
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- São Luís do Paraitinga Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Tulum Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Saquarema Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de São Paulo Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Piracicaba Intro, 6 reviews
- Brazil Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos