"Surfer's Haven" Saquarema by Lady_Disdain
Saquarema Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
Saquarema is a beach town around 100 km north of Rio de Janeiro.
It was a surfer's haven in the 70s, but it is equally friendly to family and singles. It has plenty of simple but good (and cheap!) restaurants, nice pousadas and great beaches!
Don't miss Sergey, an old time Brazilian rock star who hangs around. If you talk to him, he will tell you all about the times he played with Janis Joplin! Of course, he is also a poster child for the ravages of too much rock'n'roll...
Saquarema was a quiet fishing village until surfers discovered its waves. So, obviously, there are plenty of surfing beaches! The casual bather should be aware of string waves and undertows!
But the rocks also create a sheltered beach good for families, with few waves. The water is still cold, though! Before you dive, check the other bathers - if there are only children and surfers, it is cold. If the grandmas and beach babes are in, then it is warm.
Ocasionally, specially during the summer, sand banks will form, to the delight of children, who can wade all the way out.
Banana boats will also be around during the summer - a lot of fun!
If you are not a surfer, then the big waves in Saquarema may not be to your liking. So head over to the "Point", where... more travel advice
Please don't ride the sand buggies. They destroy the beach vegetation and there is little enough of that left... Keep... more travel advice
Lady_Disdain's Related Pages
Saquarema Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surfer's Haven"
- "Saquarema is a beach paradise"
- "Saquarema - Brazil's best kept secret"
- "Dream holidays in brazil"
- "Saquarema another lost paradise in Rio!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saquarema
- Hotels in Saquarema
- Nightlife in Saquarema
- Restaurants in Saquarema
- Shopping in Saquarema
- Warnings and Dangers in Saquarema
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saquarema
- 8 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Saquarema?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saquarema
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- São Luís do Paraitinga Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Tulum Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Saquarema Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de São Paulo Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Piracicaba Intro, 6 reviews
- Brazil Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos