"The Canadian Rockies" Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park by Camping_Girl
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 808 reviews and 1,570 photos
I am so fortunate to live within a 2 hour drive of the town of Banff. The country here is so beautiful.
Lake Louise and Field are close enough to Banff that you can easily visit all three places from one base, there's no need to pack up and move from hotel to hotel. Its about a 45 minute drive from Banff to Lake Louise, and Field is about another 20 minutes or so past LL.
Jasper is a different story. It is about a 3 hour drive from LL to Jasper, with the Columbia Icefields about midway between the two. You should plan on a full day to travel the Icefields Parkway, there are so many things to see along the way. I would strongly urge anyone planning on visiting Jasper to spend a few nights in Jasper as well. The travelling distance is great enough that you could never do justice to Jasper on a day trip from Banff.
My suggestion would be to allow a minimum of 3 days in Banff area, 1 day to travel from Banff to Jasper, and 2 days in Jasper, if your schedule permits this.
Now that I have established the closeness of LL and Field to Banff, you will understand why all my tips for all 3 areas are being headed up under Banff. It makes it a lot simpler for everyone to see what you can easily see in a day trip from Banff or LL.
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery, Turquoise Lakes, Waterfalls
- Cons:Really crowded during July and August
- In a nutshell:Stunning Scenery and Lots to Do
Peyto Lake is one of the most photographed lakes in Banff National Park. As you go from lake to lake with the mountain... more travel advice
The Spray Lakes Trail (also called the Smith Dorrien Trail) is a well-maintained gravel road that winds up out of the... more travel advice
Camping_Girl's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 30 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 37 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Travel Banff National Park Forum "Re: 4 Night Itinerary: Banff,..."
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "The Canadian Rockies"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ice Crevasses"
- Wrote a Review Peyto Lake about Lakes in Banff National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Stargazer1's Banff National Park travel pages
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 44 reviews, 62 photos
- Havana Intro, 16 reviews, 79 photos
- Varadero Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Needles Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nanton Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Virginia City Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue