"Overnight kind of City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamloops by Camping_Girl
Kamloops Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 77 photos
Kamloops is a medium sized city situated at the meeting of the #5 (Yellowhead highway) and #1 (Trans Canada) highways. As such, it sees a lot of overnight tourist traffic and there are no shortage of hotels and motels along the #1 highway through the city.
I personally think that there is not a whole pile to do or see in Kamloops, unfortunately. The reason I say this is because my step-children live there, and we regularly drive out to spend a weekend there with them. We have a hard time finding something to do with them, besides watersliding at our hotel.
It is conveniently situated as a roughly halfway point between Banff and Vancouver and that accounts for most of its tourist traffic.
When you leave Kamloops heading west for Vancouver you have 2 choices for a possible route there. The first is the newer Coquihalla highway. This used to be a toll road, but the toll was lifted summer 2008. This road was built as a short-cut from Kamloops to Vancouver. It certainly does cut a great deal of time off the old route. The 2 downsides that I see to the Coquihalla are that the road is very busy (to the point of being dangerous) and it is a less scenic route. But if time is a factor to your vacation, it is the best choice for getting from Banff to Vancouver. The drive will take approximately 10 hours, using this route.
The other route choice is the old #1 highway. When you get to Cache Creek, you have to turn and continue south on the #1. This is a twisty, turny narrow highway with a total of 7 tunnels between Cache Creek and Hope. It is incredibly scenic, travelling through the Fraser Canyon. The Hell's Gate Tram is situated along this route as well. If time is not an issue for you, I would highly recommend this route from Kamloops to Vancouver.
Camping_Girl's Related Pages
Kamloops Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kamloops - A great place to visit, or live!"
- "The best city in BC"
- "Overnight kind of City"
- "Kamloops Heritage Railway"
- "Kamloops, the meeting of the waters"
- "Kamloops and the Okanagan Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamloops
- Hotels in Kamloops
- Transportation in Kamloops
- Nightlife in Kamloops
- Restaurants in Kamloops
- Shopping in Kamloops
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamloops
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamloops
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Kamloops?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamloops
Photos in KamloopsSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 44 reviews, 62 photos
- Havana Intro, 16 reviews, 79 photos
- Varadero Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Needles Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nanton Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Virginia City Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue