"Motorcyle trip of a Lifetime!!! (Overview)" Baker City by Camping_Girl

Baker City Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 27 photos

Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally

We travelled to Baker City in May 2006 for the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally, this was the sixth annual, I believe. A lot of bikes and riders turned out for the rally. We met so many really great people. I can honestly say this is one of the best vacations I have ever taken.

Baker City is a beautiful little city. It is FULL of historic buildings, over 100 are on the National Historic Register. If you are an architecture buff like I am, you will love strolling through the streets and checking out all the old buildings.

The trip - winding roads and no freeways!

We left home (near Calgary, Alberta) on May 8th. It was cool when we left in the morning and we had all our gear on. By the time we stopped for lunch in Moyie Lake, BC it was so hot we were able to ride in our t-shirts! It took us about half an hour to clear customs at the Kingsgate border crossing. We rolled into Sandpoint, Idaho around 2:00 and did some mega shopping. (Okay, okay! I did some mega shopping while DH went and bought a bag to hold all the stuff I was buying. lol.) We spent the night in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Day 2 took us to Lewiston, Idaho where the great folks at Shumate HD replaced both tires on the bike for us and had us back on the road in record time. We rode through Rattlesnake Canyon between Lewiston and Enterprise, Oregon. This road is a must do for any motorcyclist! It is amazing! We pulled into Baker City around 6:00 pm on Day 2. We covered 750 miles in 2 days but the Electra Glide made that easy, since it's so comfortable to ride.

The Hells Canyon and other Great Roads

Day 3 we made the ride out to the Hells Canyon Dam, while on Day 4 we took a ride out to Sumpter to see the old gold mining dredge. Both were great roads. We left on Day 5 in the pouring rain and headed for Cambridge,Idaho and then north along the Salmon River to Riggins. Riggins proved to be one of our favorite stops on the whole route - loved the Seven Devils Steakhouse! We spent the night in Kooskia and had a great time in the bar there that night! Day 6 we rode along the Lochsa River and up over the Lolo Pass into Montana. There was still 3 ft of snow in the pass! A stop at the Lolo Hot Springs was in order and we stopped for the night in Missoula. Day 7 we rode out to Garnet ghost town, which I highly recommend. Later that day we rode to Bigfork, Montana and this proved to be another favorite stop. Day 8 we rode thru GNP, cleared customs and headed for home!

• Pros:Beautiful Historic Architecture & Friendly People
  • In a nutshell:Lots of great motorcycle roads in this area!
  • Last visit to Baker City: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2008

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM

I've driven past Baker City and the turn-off for Hells Canyon several times. I need to stop and check this out. Your writing shows great enthusiasm to do so...

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 5:36 AM

I have a good friend who rides Harleys, I'm gonna ask him if he's ever been here, and BTW I didn't know chicken fried steak was veal, I learned my new thing for the day. LOL

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Your enthusiasm for this place reallys shows in your comments! The scenery looks gorgeous and, being close to Glacier NP, I can understand why. Nice tip on the Sumpter Dredge - it reminded me of one I explored in 'Bulolo' Papua New Guinea many years ago!

Camping_Girl

“Live life like a snowflake; leave a mark, but never a stain.”

Badges & Stats in Baker City

Have you been to Baker City?

Latest Activity in Baker City