"A Step Back in Time..." Wallace by Camping_Girl
Wallace Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 66 photos
As many of you already know, I am crazy about historical architecture and history in general. Wallace, Idaho is a truly remarkable piece of American history. Every original building in the town is listed on the National Historic Register. Sadly, many of the buildings are empty and the town is looking a little run-down in areas. But that doesn't stop this place from being one of the best living ghost towns I have ever seen.
Wallace was founded in the late 1800's, when gold and silver were discovered in the area. There are several active mines still in operation in the area, which makes for a lot of jewellery stores in town! There have been 3 movies filmed in Wallace over the years. The most recent (and interesting) one was Dante's Peak.
Town folk and business people are extremely friendly here. In fact, my only complaint is that the town really shuts down on Mondays and Tuesdays, which I find odd for a town that is heavily promoting tourism. We were there on a Monday in August, and at least 50% of the businesses we wanted to tour were closed, including two of the largest eating/drinking establishments in town. So my recommendation to anyone planning a visit to Wallace would be to visit between Wednesday and Sunday.
When the freeway was built above Wallace the old train station actually had to be moved about 1000 feet. Part of the deal when the freeway went in was that the gov't had to relocate the historic building and pay for its restoration. That sounds like a pretty good deal for the town, in my opinion. The train station is now a museum.
The library in Wallace is one of the few remaining Carnegie libraries in the U.S. It is in remarkably great condition.
This statue pays tribute to the founding father of Wallace, Idaho.
- Pros:Great piece of American History
- Cons:A lot of empty buildings
- In a nutshell:A fun place to spend an afternoon exploring Idaho's history.
A leisurely walk around town is a great way to take in many of the incredible historic buildings that can be found in... more travel advice
Camping_Girl's Related Pages
Wallace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Silver Mining Boom Town Below I-90"
- "A Step Back in Time..."
- See All...
Explore the World
- Coolangatta Hotels
- Breaux Bridge
- Sant'Agata Bolognese
- York Beach Hotels
- New Braunfels Hotels
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park Hotels
- Burano Hotels
- Davao City
- Lord Howe Island
- Port Royal Plantation Hotels
- Isla Margarita
Badges & Stats in Wallace
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Wallace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wallace
Photos in WallaceSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 44 reviews, 62 photos
- Havana Intro, 16 reviews, 79 photos
- Varadero Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Needles Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nanton Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Virginia City Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue