"Farragut State Park" Farragut State Park by Camping_Girl
Farragut State Park Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 23 photos
Farragut SP is located on the site of an old naval base. It is absolutely huge - 4000 acres, to be exact. When the base was in operation there were 6 separate bases here. You have to see it to believe how big it is. They used Lake Pend Oreille to carry out submarine testing during the second World War.
After the base closed, the area was turned into a State Park. There are hundred of campsites here along the lake. The old base sites are barren - all that remains are the old roads, the guard shacks and the brig, which is now a museum. The trees are slowly coming back in the actual base sites, and I'm sure they will build more campsites here when nature permits it.
We camped here a total of 5 nights. The campgrounds are just fabulous. There are 8 different campgrounds, plus 4 group campgrounds. They have both serviced and non-serviced sites. The sites we had were non-serviced and they were enormous. The washroom & shower facilities are adequate & are kept fairly clean.
There are so many things to do here - there is a large boat launch and fishing is a prime activity on the lake. There is a really nice beach at Beaver Bay, with change rooms, washrooms and showers. There is a disc golf course, a shooting range, an ampitheatre, a model airplane flying field, playgrounds, beach volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, day-use picnic areas, and of course the Brig Museum.
The town of Bayview is only 4 miles away, in the event that you need to stock up on supplies.
We camped in the Snowberry Campground (#112) for the last 2 nights of our stay. This site was even larger than our first site in the Whitetail Campground. The campsites were kept so spotlessly clean, and there is a campground host on every loop, so things are always really quiet too.
- Pros:Beautiful location, Peaceful, Clean
- Cons:Not enough campsites!
We spent 3 nights in the Whitetail (unserviced) campground, and 2 nights in the Snowberry (also unserviced)... more travel advice
Silverwood is less than 10 miles from Farragut SP, at Athol, Idaho. It is about 30 north of Couer d'Alene or 30 miles... more travel advice
Camping_Girl's Related Pages
Farragut State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Farragut State Park
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Farragut State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Farragut State Park
Photos in Farragut State ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 44 reviews, 62 photos
- Havana Intro, 16 reviews, 79 photos
- Varadero Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Needles Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nanton Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Virginia City Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue