Anaheim Tourist Trap Tips by Camping_Girl Top 5 Page for this destination

Anaheim Tourist Traps: 13 reviews and 12 photos

California Pirates Dinner Adventure

At $49 Pirates was a huge waste of our time & money. The meal was to include an appetizer buffet, a served dinner, the performance & drinks during the meal. I even went back to their website before writing this to double-check that I had read the description correctly.

We arrived December 24/06 roughly 40 minutes before the stated start time and had to stand crowded into a room with 100 other people for about 25 minutes until we were seated.

According to their website this is the description of the menu : "...you are invited to start off your evening with a bountiful appetizer buffet. Enjoy the King’s assorted salads, tasty snacks, and special sauces. The festival buffet is prepared to whet the appetite of royalty and commoner alike....a feast awaiting that can satisfy even the hungriest of pirates!..."

There is no appetizer buffet. When we were seated, there was a very tiny garden salad at our place setting. The dinner consisted of a quarter roast chicken (dark meat only) & your choice of roast beef & gravy or shrimp alfredo. It was served with vegetables & a choice of rice or mashed potatoes. Dessert was apple crisp. The food tasted alright but was a little cold.

For free "alcoholic" drinks with dinner you could choose from really bad sparkling red wine (think "baby duck") or beer. I know that I am used to 5% Cdn beer, but I had 6 beer with dinner (Trying to make up for the non-existent buffet I paid for!) & I never got so much as a buzz from it. For about $16 you could buy a "premium" drink & even keep the cheap plastic glass that it was served in.

Our server was very friendly & I really felt sorry for him as he was in charge of dishing up the food onto each plate, plus serving the food, clearing the plates & bringing drink refills. And because I paid for an appetizer buffet which was apparently invisible, I did not tip this man when I left. I just felt that I had been gouged too badly.

The entertainment was really cheesy & the singing & acting was poor.I found the whole thing to be quite forgettable.

Unique Suggestions: If you do decide to go to this performance, at least try to request seats in the red or orange sections, since these appeared to have the best unobstructed views of the stage. And maybe ask how many hours before the suggested arrival time you should arrive if you expect to see the appetizer buffet.

Fun Alternatives: For the money we spent on this hour of entertainment, we could have easily had an outstanding dinner in any top restaurant in the area.

This place is one of the worst rip-offs I have ever encountered.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Jan 21, 2007
Food! Disneyland / California Adventure Review

Disneyland states on their website that no outside food or drink is allowed in the park. How I desperately wish I had known in advance that they don't enforce this rule! The food is a huge rip-off, seconded only by the price of bottled water!

Unique Suggestions: We brought frozen bottles of water with us every day. When they were empty we refilled them from the drinking fountains. It beat paying $3.00 for a bottle of water! Soft drinks were $2.50.

If I went again, I would bring canned soft drinks & juice boxes, snacks and water in a back pack. I saw lots of people eating bagged lunches. We were only there for 2 days, so we didn't mind spending the money for lunch each day. We made sure everyone had breakfast before we headed out each morning, and we left the park late in the afternoon each day for a dip in the pool and dinner outside the park.

Fun Alternatives: We had dinner at Downtown Disney one night. We found the prices here to be more reasonable. The portions were large enough to feed two average appetites at the restaurant we were at. (Naples Pizzeria)

Just north of the main entrance on Harbor Blvd (about 3 blocks) is a restaurant called Carrows. It is a typical family restaurant. One big plus here is that for every adult entree you order, you get one kid's meal free, every weeknight. This worked out well for us. My son is a fairly big eater and so he and I swapped meals. (For a free meal I was perfectly happy to be eating chicken nuggets. lol) Naturally, he also claimed the dessert that came with the kid's meal! =:,-(

But I got the starter salad from his adult meal, so we're even, right?

• Updated Mar 7, 2006

Camping_Girl

“Live life like a snowflake; leave a mark, but never a stain.”

Badges & Stats in Anaheim

Have you been to Anaheim?

Latest Activity in Anaheim