"UNESCO World Heritage City" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcalá de Henares by Misstyria
Alcalá de Henares Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 98 photos
Alcala is located a few miles to the east of Madrid and is a lively university city with two complete different faces: the old heritage part of the town and the one with old as well as new apartment blocks.
I really enjoyed strolling through the streets between the historic buildings & monuments - originating from the Romans to the period of the Renaissance - lots of small shops, and arcades, which provide cool shadow during the hot summer months.
There is not a lot to say about the more 'modern' face, though. With its busy streets, heavy traffic and bar-like cafes it left me with an impression of a rather working-class style town, which did not particularly appeal to me.
The picture shows the central square in the middle of the old town - a great festive & social place.
It is best known as one of the oldest (possibly the oldest) planned university towns in Europe. The Universidad Complutense was founded in 1486. The name comes from an ancient Roman town in the area, Complutum. Many of the original college buildings remain although very few are still part of the university. Some are residences or museums now, and a few can still be toured.
I was able to walk up to the roof top of this building and enjoyed a wonderful view to the surrounding areas of Alcala. Even it was not summer yet and weather fairly changeable, you could immediately feel the mediterranean flair when walking through the court yards.
Who does not know the story of the 'heroic' and world famous Don Quixote and his servant Sancho Panza?
Alcala is the birth place of Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, the creator of these lovely adventurers. He lived there from 1547 until 1616.
- Pros:Worthwhile seeing the old historic town of Alcala
- Cons:The modern world outside the old town centre left Alcala in no great impression
- In a nutshell:Once you are in Madrid you should plan a day to visit Alcala
Misstyria's Related Pages
Alcalá de Henares Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alcala de Henares, Home of Cervantes"
- "Alcalá de Henares - University since 1499"
- "Alcala de Henares"
- "Alcala de Henarez"
- "UNESCO World Heritage City"
- "Study Abroad - Maryland in Spain"
- "UNESCO wonder near Madrid"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alcalá de Henares
- Transportation in Alcalá de Henares
- Nightlife in Alcalá de Henares
- Restaurants in Alcalá de Henares
- Shopping in Alcalá de Henares
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alcalá de Henares
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Alcalá de Henares?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alcalá de Henares
Photos in Alcalá de HenaresSee All Photos (3)
- Aranjuez Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcalá de Henares Intro, 1 review, 3 photos