"Viewing Past Glory of a Gold Mining Town" Tincup by painterdave
Tincup Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos
The miners out in California had gone bust and were headed back east, but placer gold was found near Tincup in 1859, and there was a big strike later in 1879.
Tincup got its name from the metal cups that the miners carried out their gold dust--and also brought to the saloons for whisky.
The town was run by some rough characters and never really could have a sheriff. These new sheriffs were removed by one way or another, and lawlessness would prevail. It is said that the cemetary is full of "honest" people.
Today's Tin Cup has several hundred residents during the summer, but in the winter, only 4 people live there. The snow becomes so deep that if they need to get down to Gunnison, they need a snowmobile. At one time there were nearly 2,000 citizens of Tincup. Many of the buildings are still standing, and this makes many photo moments.
There is a small general store, selling mostly souvenirs, and an interesting cafe called Frenchies. (See things to do.)
Also there is a very rough road that goes beyond Tincup which leads up to a very nice campground and lake called Mirror Lake. The lake provides good fishing in the early morning and late afternoon. If you are fishing the bottom, put your weight above your hooks. There are a lot of snags.
There is nothing quite like watching the trout jump and feed on the local fly population.
- Pros:Remote Area of Colorado
- Cons:Good weather only 5 months of the year
- In a nutshell:Part of the Wild West
painterdave's Related Pages
Tincup Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tincup
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Tincup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tincup
Photos in TincupSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos