"Gold Mining Country" Silverton by painterdave
Silverton Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos
Silverton is a mining town/ghost town that has come back to life through tourism and now off and on through mining. These hardy people who live here struggle through being isolated in the winter by snow, yet in the summer Silverton is a happy and interesting place to visit.
There are several roads out of Silverton, and if you drive there you might want to take one of them and go for a picnic, do a little rock hunting and just enjoy the scenery. All the peaks are above 14, 000 feet and you will be amazed at the mines so high up that you wonder how they got up there to find the gold.
Be sure and see my tip on the railroad from Durango to Silverton.
I also suggest the "million dollar highway" that goes from Silverton to Ouray. It hangs on the side of the mountain and the view is fabulous, yet kind of scary for flat landers.
painterdave's Related Pages
Silverton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SILVERTON - COLORADO"
- "Deep in the San Juan Mountains"
- "Silverton, Colorado"
- "Gold Mining Country"
- "lidman's new Silverton Page"
- "SILVERTON, COLORADO"
- "Crazy Mountains & Bad Ass Weather!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silverton
- Hotels in Silverton
- Transportation in Silverton
- Restaurants in Silverton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silverton
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Silverton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silverton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos