"La Junta, Colorado" La Junta by painterdave
La Junta Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 27 photos
La Junta, Colorado and the surrounding area has a rich history. The American Indians would come here to the Arkansas River to camp in the Spring. Later a man named Bent built a fort for the traders, and in the most recent past the Santa Fe Railroad made La Junta an important railroad repair stop.
In the 1960's the nation's passenger railroad was born and the leg from Denver down to La Junta was terminated.
La Junta has a well known Boy Scout Troop where the scouts learn American Indian Dances, and put on an excellent set of performances. They are called the Koshares.
There is also a junior college in La Junta.
During WWII the government maintained an important airport just north of La Junta.
- Pros:motels are inexpensive
- Cons:can be seen in 1/2 day
- In a nutshell:See Bent's Fort which is worth the trip
Located away from the center of La Junta near the Junior College is this restaurant created in an old home. You can... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
La Junta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bent's Old Fort"
- "La Junta, Colorado"
- "The Junction"
- "Great Breakfast stop"
- "anotherpath's new La Junta Page"
- "Basaic La Junta Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Junta
- Restaurants in La Junta
- Warnings and Dangers in La Junta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Junta
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to La Junta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Junta
Photos in La JuntaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos