"Cripple Creek Gold Mining Town" Cripple Creek by painterdave
Cripple Creek Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
Colorado had a lot of gold mines, and Cripple Creek was its biggest of all the gold mining areas. There are hundreds of mines dotting the mountains surrounding Cripple Creek and its sister town of Victor. When the price of gold was not enough to support the mines they shut down and Cripple Creek became one of three places in Colorado to gamble.
Cripple is located on the back side of Pike's Peak, which tops out at 14,110 feet. You can drive up to the top or take a cog wheel train. People with heart problems probably should not go up there....
Be sure and drive over to Victor, which is another gold mining town, but without gambling. This makes an interesting comparison.
To find Cripple Creek, look at the Colorado map and find Colorado Springs, then Pike's Peak. On your drive up keep your eye out for big horn sheep.
Looking west from the Molly Kathleen Gold Mine you can see the spine of the Rocky Mountains which goes north to south through the middle of Colorado. All the peaks are above 14,000 feet. Much of Colorado's water supply is dependent on the snow fall. You can drive along the base of the mountains and picnic, go rafting, fish or visit ghost towns along the way.
See next picture for a close up of the peaks.
Pictured here is a digital closeup 12X with my digital camera. Enjoy.
- Pros:This is a number one experience for tourists!
Drop by miner's cage 1,000 feet into the depths of a gold mine. The guide, a professional gold miner will demonstrate... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Cripple Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"
- "Cripple Creek Gold Mining Town"
- "Cripple Creek Bonanza"
- "Cripple Creek, Colorado"
- "Cripple Creek a gambling town"
- "Gold Dust, Early West"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cripple Creek
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Cripple Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cripple Creek
Photos in Cripple CreekSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos