"Canon City/Royal Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Canon City by painterdave
Canon City Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 90 photos
Canon City--pronounced like Canyon City, is a small town that exists through a cement factory, several prisons and the famous Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge.
This bridge hangs over the Arkansas River and it is quite a thrill to walk out and feel it swing and move with the wind, and sway when a car drives across it. You can look down and see the river far below, and perhaps you will catch a kayaker or some rafters floating by.
My photos will show the bridge from below....from a train trip that goes from Canon City Railroad Station up the river beyond the gorge and back. During this trip riders may elect to enjoy a well prepared lunch or crab cakes, chicken or Pork.
You can also ride in some cars that are open, and some cars that are domed glass.
This is a shot of the two engines that pull the train through the gorge. The one in front is an F9, and was a very special engine back in the 50's and 60's. Now it is a museum workhorse. This railroad line used to be run by the Denver and Rio Grande railroad, and its cars featured the colors you see here.
This is a digital telephoto shot of the people walking across the bridge. With the naked eye you cannot see them.
Please go to "things to do" and you will find more photos.
I would not recommend staying in Canon City overnight, you should drive further upriver to Salida which is far more picturesque, surrounded by high mountains. Salida also has some good places to eat downtown by the river..
If you are interested in rafting, head for Salida. Skiing--just past Salida you will find a great ski area called Monarch Pass.
If you come to this area, DO NOT MISS Gunnison and its famous canyon.
- Pros:Lots of tourist things to do
- Cons:Lodging is better up river
- In a nutshell:You can do it all in two days
painterdave's Related Pages
Canon City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cañon City"
- "The Royal Gorge"
- "Canon City/Royal Gorge"
- "Canon City: Place of Wonders"
- "ROYAL GORGE"
- "Nice Area to Camp at"
- "World's Highest Suspension Bridge"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canon City
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Canon City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canon City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos