"Black Canyon Magic" Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument by painterdave
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 99 photos
After you have viewed the deep Black Canyon and driven along the gorge to its many overlooks, you will agree that the $15.00 entrance fee per vehicle is more than worth it. This awe inspiring U.S. Monument has been set aside for everyone to enjoy and be amazed at history's handiwork. Far below the rim the river drops an average of 93 feet per mile which has created a 2,000 foot chasm which has been created over 2 million years.
Before placing three dams above the canyon the river used to carry far more water, but today there is a tunnel which carries a diversion away from the canyon.
You can view the canyon from the north side, or south. But it is not possible to cross the river within the park in order to get to the other side.
The park service and its volunteers have made an effort to creat hikes along and also down into the canyon for the more adventurous visitors. There is also are campground at the top and one on the south side down in the canyon. Please see "things to do" to find out more information.
If you are crossing Colorado, this is a must see. Don't miss the Black Canyon.
Looking down from the edge can be a challenge for some people. But don't worry, they have a railing to keep you from having an accident. (Which would be your last.) It is a long way down.
Many places you can see the river quite well, and it is so quiet along the canyon that you can hear the rush of the water through the rapids.
- Pros:This is a great experience.
- Cons:Campgrounds lack showers
- In a nutshell:If you are near Aspen, or crossing Colorado don't miss it.
One of the first writers to describe the canyon named this rock wall, "Painted Wall". The walk to this overlook is one... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorge-ous to a T"
- "Basaic Black Canyon National Park Page"
- "The not so big ditch"
- "Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument"
- "Black Canyon Magic"
- "Black canyon"
- "Colorado's Grand Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
- Hotels in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
- Restaurants in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument
Photos in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National MonumentSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos