"Major Roman City" Aquiléia by painterdave
Aquiléia Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 216 photos
At one time over 70,000 people lived in this Roman City. Built as a bridgehead for conquest further north in the region of the Danube, it was a major port and trading city.
It had some changes in its history due to the rerouting of the river in 361 AD, and then the barbarians invaded in the 5th century, Eventually the city was finished as a city in around 452.
The modern town of Aquileia has excavated many areas to show the old city. You can find an arena, a circus, the port, the town itself, the forum of Aratria Galla, and paved roads. It is possible to walk and see these places, and you will find a pay for parking area along the main road near the cathedral. Look for the spire.
See my tips on what to do for more photos, etc.
- Pros:Major Roman Site
- In a nutshell:Excavation of Ruins Is A Big Effort And Expense
The tourist office has been place in the parking lot further down from the basilica entrance. You will see the colorful... more travel advice
Along the main road the runs through Aquileia you will find the ruins of the homes and merchant shops. The Italian... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Aquiléia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than your average ruin"
- "History remains"
- "Antiquity in Northeast Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aquiléia
- Hotels in Aquiléia
- Transportation in Aquiléia
- Restaurants in Aquiléia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aquiléia
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Aquiléia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aquiléia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos