"Bassano del Grappa" Top 5 Page for this destination Bassano del Grappa by painterdave
Bassano del Grappa Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 198 photos
Located a bit less than one hour from Padova, Bassano offers a quiet respite from the crowded tourist places of the Veneto. Once I walked onto the old wooden bridge, created by Palladio in 1569, I felt less of the stress of the drive, things slowed down to a snails pace. The river view and the nicely painted buildings, the geese, the trout swimming below, and the shaded covering to the bridge all contributed to the atmosphere.
There are many cafes, restaurants, and outdoor eating places near the river. On both sides of the bridge are grappa tasting businesses, both large and small. You want to plan a few hours to relax, and try the local cooking, too.
See my choice for a trattoria, it is a highly recommended one that features local cooking, not tourist fare. If you are parking, look for a 3 hour lot that has 2 free hours at lunchtime. You can add this time together so that you can eat and play tourist.
I will also include a things to do page, so that you can view some fotos that will give you an idea of what there is to see in Bassano. If you like ceramics, check out the shopping page.
With shops and museums on both sides you walk onto the wooden bridge which is covered. There is art work on the walls and if you look on the down river side of the bridge you will see holes where machine guns during WWII left their marks on the wall of the building.
On the left is a grappa tasting shop, but if you turn around and face the other direction you will see a VERY MAJOR grappa shop, go inside and view the many stills they have preserved, bottles, and if you are lucky get to taste some grappa.
- Pros:Peaceful Beauty
- Cons:parking a bit far away and limited by time
- In a nutshell:Bassano has a small village feel...
The owner is a real craftsman, in fact, he is so good that the movie Harry Potter used his lamps and he will tell you... more travel advice
One hundred steps around the corner from the famous wooden bridge will get you some very fine local food, prepared daily... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Bassano del Grappa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bassano del Grappa"
- "Bassano del Grappa - The Alpines City"
- "SUL PONTE DI BASSANO...."
- "stunning look of Bassano with its wooden bridge"
- "Bassano del Grappa"
- "Gorgeous town at base of Dolomites"
- "Not just the wooden bridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bassano del Grappa
- Hotels in Bassano del Grappa
- Transportation in Bassano del Grappa
- Nightlife in Bassano del Grappa
- Restaurants in Bassano del Grappa
- Shopping in Bassano del Grappa
- Warnings and Dangers in Bassano del Grappa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bassano del Grappa
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Bassano del Grappa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bassano del Grappa
Photos in Bassano del GrappaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos