"Undiscovered by Tourists, worth a visit" Certaldo by painterdave
Certaldo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos
If you are looking for a small town in Tuscany that has more affordable hotel rates, and cheaper food without cutting quality, Certaldo is a good bet.
To get to Certaldo Alto you can take a tram from the city piazza area up to the top of the hill. You can also drive around the side.
The view from Certaldo Alto is very nice and you can see San Gimignano across the valley. This is the birthplace of the author of The Decameron a set of stories written about a plague that struck the heart of Italy. These baudy tales are similar to England's Canterbury Tales.
You can reach Florence by train in about an hour, and there is also a train from Certaldo that goes to Siena and on to Rome. Tickets on Sunday are by machine.
The photos that follow will show Certaldo Alto and a hotel in which I stay when I am there painting.
This is a good place to stay. The people are very friendly and courteous. The food is typical Tuscan cuisine--they give cooking lessons.
The rooms are typical of a three star hotel, clean, and comfortable.
You have a choice of a view down at lower Certaldo or a view of Certaldo Alto. They will let you go up and see which one you like usually.
There are many places to eat near this hotel, and everything here is within a few minutes of walking.
Certaldo Alto is not over run by tourist souvenir shops, but instead has many artists selling their projects.
What a way to relax after a day of walking. This garden is within the hotel grounds. They take great pride in it and watch out for the turtles as you are walking.
To see more photos of the hotel and Certaldo, look at the appropriate titles. dining and hotels.
- Pros:A bit undiscovered, lots of artists, close to San G.
- Cons:Over an hour to Florence by car or train
- In a nutshell:I like this town, you will too
under construction The statue of Boccaccio stands near the Uffizi Museum in Florence. Boccaccio was born in Certaldo... more travel advice
When you walk about you will find quaint little scenes like this gate. It just seems to say, come in a enjoy my... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Certaldo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Undiscovered by Tourists, worth a visit"
- "Certaldo - Two towns for the price of one"
- "C E R T A L D O"
- "Great View...day or night"
- "CERTALDO - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!"
- "certaldo, off the beaten path, not far from Siena"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Certaldo
- Hotels in Certaldo
- Restaurants in Certaldo
- Shopping in Certaldo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Certaldo
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Certaldo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Certaldo
Photos in CertaldoSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Certaldo hotel reviews
- Il Palchetto
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Aug 1, 2011