"Ultimate Boats and Ships Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Chioggia by painterdave
Chioggia Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 211 photos
if you like those painted boats you see in postcards, if you like to smell the sea and feel the air, if you want to get away from the tourist crowds of Venice, and if you want to taste fresh seafood right off the boat, then you should visit Chioggia.
This town, roughened by fishermen whose hands tell the story of their work, is so interesting and different than nearby Venice. The boats are lined up along the docks, so bring your cameras and enjoy the day as you walk along the many streets parallel to the water and that lead away from the docks.
This is not essentially a tourist town, and I first heard of it when I noticed that a lot of American painters were bringing their classes here for a week of painting. So i went to check it out, and found out this is quite the place for charm.
If you have extra days for visiting the beach, there is a "wild" beach near here, too. Wild to italians is not wilderness, but you do have to hike a little over 10 minutes through the woods to get there. See my tip and also two on restaurants.
I am including here some fotos of boats to show you what to expect. Also included is one on parking (see transportation)
Artistic painting on side of boat in Chioggia canal
The town has canals like Venice for their small boats. You can walk along most of these and use the sun for your camera shots.
- Pros:Far Fewer Tourists
- Cons:Food Prices a bit on the high side (less that Venezia)
- In a nutshell:Great for Painting and Photos
I am a watercolorist...Therefore,.... Many painting groups are brought to Chioggia as the old boats, docks and fishermen... more travel advice
Chioggia is a parking nightmare, not only is there almost no parking, but there are several one way streets that come... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Chioggia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Piccola Venezia"
- "Ultimate Boats and Ships Town"
- "Look like Venice but have a different spirit"
- "A small Venice."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chioggia
- Hotels in Chioggia
- Transportation in Chioggia
- Restaurants in Chioggia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chioggia
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Chioggia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chioggia
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: First time to Europe"
- updated a Chioggia Travel Page "Ultimate Boats and Ships Town"
- Wrote a Review Painter's/ Photographer's Paradise in Chioggia Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Painter's/ Photographer's Paradise"
- Commented on one of oriettaIT's Chioggia travel pages
Photos in ChioggiaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos