"Mantova City of Virgil the poet" Mantova by painterdave
Mantova Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 374 photos
Virgil was born in a village very close to Mantova and so they claim him as their poet. Mantova was a small settlement in 2000 and was in the 6th Century an Etruscan town. In more recent history the French and Austrians fought over it and it was besieged by Napoleon but then retaken by the Austrians who again lost it to Napoleon. Later in 1866 Mantova was incorporated into united Italy by the King of Sardinia.
The city is rich with buildings from Medieval and Renaissance times.
- Pros:Quiet, peaceful and great food
- Cons:foggy in winter
- In a nutshell:Check out my restaurant pages for their cuisine
The Fireman Museum created in 1991 by Mantova firefighters has got to be one of the best in the world. They have... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Mantova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mantova in 2014"
- "City Full Of Art, Churches, Palazzos, and Lakes"
- "Mantova: a little lost paradise"
- "Surrounded with three lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mantova
- Hotels in Mantova
- Transportation in Mantova
- Nightlife in Mantova
- Restaurants in Mantova
- Shopping in Mantova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mantova
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Mantova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mantova
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos