"Close to Rome And Worth a Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto by painterdave
Orvieto Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 761 photos
Since I paint when in Italy I look for smaller towns, friendly people and great food/wine. When I researched Orvieto I found it to be just about perfect, and one hour by train from Rome which made it a plus. I usually travel by train and the train station is below the town, but there is a tram that takes you up to Orvieto in minutes. From the top it was only a 5 minute walk to my hotel.
Orvieto has some historical sights, including a very deep well dug by the citizens back when they needed to have extra water for seiges, and a beautiful cathedral with a golden front. Be sure and visit this in the afternoon so that the sun will shine on the golden front.
I painted my way around the city walls and then also in the main square. You will find lots of photo opportunities throughout the town. My photos here will show you what you will see beyond the famous sites. If you want to see the cathedral, etc. you can find them easily enough. My photos will help you determine whether you want to visit Orvieto or pass it up for some other hilltop town.
If you are on a budget, this is a place for you. Hotels and food are cheaper than in Rome. It is also much more of a peaceful place, so if you are tired of the crowds and it isn't July, I recommend Orvieto.
As you walk around the walls you will find many beautiful views. This was taken in early April and so the Spring green was just showing.
You can see that Orvieto has small towns around the base of its high hill, and there are many small farms of grapes and olive trees and fruit around it.
At the time that I was there there was still a bit of mist/fog that lingered until late morning. I would imagine that more near the summer this mist would not be there.
One time around the whole of Orvieto would burn off some calories, now you could more enjoy their great cuisine. ...And their food is delightfully good.
Here is a watercolor I finished a while back, inspired by Orvieto and its quaint streets.
I only wish that I lived closer to Orvieto, as I live near Venezia. There are so many places to visit in northern Italy that it seems we hardly ever get beyond Firenze. However, when we go to Roma we always stop for a day.
- Pros:Crowning A Hilltop Near Rome
- Cons:Bring a map of the town
- In a nutshell:Great White Wine/Cheaper Hotels
There is a tram that goes up the hill from the train station. You buy your ticket before entering form the toll booth.... more travel advice
This is a huge and important cathedral. Don't go at lunch time, it will be closed. If you go in the late morning, the... more travel advice
painterdave's Related Pages
Orvieto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Orvieto: Ancient Hilltown Close To Rome: 2013"
- "Wine, Etruscans and a magnificent duomo"
- "Pottery heaven -- and other heavenly things"
- "The hill town of Orvieto"
- "Close to Rome And Worth a Visit"
- "The most marvellous duomo"
- "Classic hilltop town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orvieto
- Hotels in Orvieto
- Transportation in Orvieto
- Nightlife in Orvieto
- Restaurants in Orvieto
- Shopping in Orvieto
- Warnings and Dangers in Orvieto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orvieto
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Orvieto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orvieto
Photos in OrvietoSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos