"Close to Rome And Worth a Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto by painterdave

Orvieto Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 756 photos

Orvieto--history, food, cathedral, and a high view

Since I paint when in Italy I look for smaller towns, friendly people and great food/wine. When I researched Orvieto I found it to be just about perfect, and one hour by train from Rome which made it a plus. I usually travel by train and the train station is below the town, but there is a tram that takes you up to Orvieto in minutes. From the top it was only a 5 minute walk to my hotel.
Orvieto has some historical sights, including a very deep well dug by the citizens back when they needed to have extra water for seiges, and a beautiful cathedral with a golden front. Be sure and visit this in the afternoon so that the sun will shine on the golden front.
I painted my way around the city walls and then also in the main square. You will find lots of photo opportunities throughout the town. My photos here will show you what you will see beyond the famous sites. If you want to see the cathedral, etc. you can find them easily enough. My photos will help you determine whether you want to visit Orvieto or pass it up for some other hilltop town.
If you are on a budget, this is a place for you. Hotels and food are cheaper than in Rome. It is also much more of a peaceful place, so if you are tired of the crowds and it isn't July, I recommend Orvieto.

A view from the wall of Orvieto

As you walk around the walls you will find many beautiful views. This was taken in early April and so the Spring green was just showing.
You can see that Orvieto has small towns around the base of its high hill, and there are many small farms of grapes and olive trees and fruit around it.
At the time that I was there there was still a bit of mist/fog that lingered until late morning. I would imagine that more near the summer this mist would not be there.
One time around the whole of Orvieto would burn off some calories, now you could more enjoy their great cuisine. ...And their food is delightfully good.

Street Scene Watercolor

Here is a watercolor I finished a while back, inspired by Orvieto and its quaint streets.
I only wish that I lived closer to Orvieto, as I live near Venezia. There are so many places to visit in northern Italy that it seems we hardly ever get beyond Firenze. However, when we go to Roma we always stop for a day.

• Pros:Crowning A Hilltop Near Rome
  • Cons:Bring a map of the town
  • In a nutshell:Great White Wine/Cheaper Hotels
  • Last visit to Orvieto: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Hi, Dave! I am glad you find inspiration in Italy... I am sure I would have too...

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Ah, brings back fond memories. Hope this finds you both still well in Padova. Cheers and thanks again for the night out.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM

This town has been in the midst of much history and strife, and still prevails with great culture and preserved. We hope to get here someday. Ciao.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Years ago, when I visited Orvieto, we ate in a restaurant that had once been a church. Is it still there? Nice pictures Dave.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I loved touring Orvieto with you, my friend. =)

• Jan 29, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Good mornig Dave! The name of the hotel I was talking about is "le vigne di adamo"... www.levignediadamo.com... Have a look! Have a nice day!

painterdave

“Know Where I am Going But Can't Get There Fast Enough!”

Badges & Stats in Orvieto

Have you been to Orvieto?