"Padova" Top 5 Page for this destination Padova by painterdave
Padova Travel Guide: 725 reviews and 1,973 photos
I live in Padova, sometimes spelled Padua, which is in the Veneto Region of Northern Italy. The 215,000 people living here work mostly in factories or service industries and the whole area around Padova has around 1,600,000 people.
The most famous place in Padova is the Scrovegni Chapel (Italian: Cappella degli Scrovegni) Inside is the remarkable cycle of frescoes completed in 1305 by Giotto, who is regarded as the father of Renaissance painters, being almost 100 years ahead of them, and many came here to see these famous paintings and study them.
There is the largest piazza in Italy, or close to it, is Prato della Valle, which is the center of Padova and is an oval shaped piazza surrounded by a large number of statues. In the center is a fountain and on the outside is a canal. On the weekends this is the place to be, with flea markets and food sellers, and during the week there are vegetable/fruit sellers.
There is a very famous cathedral in Padova named after St. Antonio which was begun about a year after his death in 1232. Busloads of pilgrims come here everyday. It was completed in 1301, although I believe that many additions were made and the domes were added.
Paova is a city that does not try to be "touristy" but enjoys being a University town important in history of the Veneto.
There is an adequate transportation system, although it is possible to walk to most important sites.
Pictured below was a Sunday at Prato della Valle and from the car I was in, we saw the hot air balloon flying over the center.
Looking down from the old Astronomical Tower of Padova you can see the large market building called Palazzo della Ragione, (Palace of Truth--an old court house), and this is where if you want to shop for cheese and meats you go. There are many shops inside there, and on top is a museum, where you also get a view below of the covered fruit and vegetable sellers.
There are numerous bars that provide seating around this area and it is pleasant to go there and have a coffee and read the newspaper and watch the people. Padova is a good people watching place, as you will see all types of folks, even a huge amount of University students because Padova has one of the oldest and the next largest, Bologna Univerisity.
This foto was taken in late afternoon in the winter, so the color is typical of this time of year. But down below are warm and friendly people who are not so used to tourists and so are happy to see visitors.
This is a foto of the old Astronomical Tower where many astronomical calculations were studied and confirmed. This tower is part of a small castle and was used by a rich family before becoming the scientific place it is known today. You can visit this place and take a tour which will take just over an hour of your time.
The water is part of a canal, Padova has several canals all connected to channels going towards Venice and the Adriatic.
More about the tower at:
- Pros:Close to Venezia, Verona and Vicenza
- Cons:Parking is very difficult sometimes
- In a nutshell:Not a tourist trap, but a friendly city
Located a few blocks from the train station along the tram route, Krishna offers up a host of Indian specialties. They... more travel advice
Right across the street from the south entrance of the train station is McDonald's. People crowd into McDonald's knowing... more travel advice
- See All Old Wall Of Padova
- 200 Steps From Train Station
- See All Flea Market GIGANTE!
- See All Prosciutto Tasting
painterdave's Related Pages
Padova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padova...our new home...for now"
- "PADOVA - PADUA"
- "Focal Point of the Past"
- "Padova, Padua, Padoa, Patavium"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padova
- Hotels in Padova
- Transportation in Padova
- Nightlife in Padova
- Restaurants in Padova
- Shopping in Padova
- Warnings and Dangers in Padova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Padova
- 53 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Padova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padova
- updated a Padova Travel Page "Padova"
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: day trips from Bled"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ristorante Out Of Padova"
- Wrote a Review Indian Specialty In Padova Center about Krishna in Padova Restaurants
- Commented on one of oriettaIT's Padova travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Padova
Photos in PadovaSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 53 reviews, 146 photos
- Venice Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos
- Chania Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Parker Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Modena Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Trieste Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos