"31 Countries Down, Bucket List Bulging With More" painterdave's Profile

Venezia and the Veneto

I have lived in the Veneto region for going on 6 years. I paint watercolors and you can see one of my subjects below.. I was there at just the most perfect time when the light relected off the wall lit up the subject.

Oklahoma 1898

Where did I come from? Well, this is some of the story. My great great Grandfather took part in the Cherokee Land Rush, while my great great grandmother drove a team of mules. The gun fired and he rode his horse to where he staked out his claim--and while two men fought with each other over what they thought would be theirs, he rode back and filed. A few years later this farm was hit two years in a row by a tornado, and after that they sold out and moved to Longton, Kansas.
Look at the photo and notice.... no trees. Bare land. We think we have it hard today with all our modern conveniences.
My uncle tells me that this house is still standing along a road near Tonkawa.

Cooking

I never learn enough about cooking, the history of cooking and creating dishes that I have tasted in other countries. It has become my second hobby and because of that I have met some very nice people who have the same interests.
It is enjoyable to cook for my Italian friends who visit, and it is always interesting to watch their reaction to foods that have some spice or taste that is new to them. We make a lot of Mexican food, and we have given lessons in sushi making. If I were younger maybe I would have opened a restaurant.
We belong to a cooking forum called Coquinaria, you see the tamales in my Corona bucket that I made for a Coquinaria Meeting at an agritourismo near Vicenza.

• Intro Updated Feb 13, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
painterdave's Profile Photo

painterdave

“Know Where I am Going But Can't Get There Fast Enough!”

Real Name