"Kuching - The Cat City" Kuching by Azri_Azmi

Kuching Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 164 photos

Kuching, The 'Cat' & Me

Kuching is the capital city of Sarawak which is the largest state in Malaysia. Located in the Borneo Island, Sarawak is a state that have varieties of mix tribes and races.

I used to stay in Kuching before as my dad who served the Royal Malaysian Air Force before had been posted to Kuching twice (after I was born). But I can't really remember how Kuching looks like and what is so special about Kuching as I was just a little kid when I was there.

Only 3 things that are on mind related to my previous stay in Kuching, one is that I remember that my first primary was in Kuching (just less that a month or two, then my dad had being posted back to Kuala Lumpur), two : I still can remember that my brother fell from our family's car while the car was moving and three was the time myself & a friend (can't even recall his name) being scold by a neighbor for throwing his pet (a rabbit) into a river in front of our quarters. Other than this 3 events, I can't remember anything about Kuching.

My last stay in Kuching was in 1982. I always intend to visit Kuching again just to refresh my memory about the Cat's City but only in 2008, I had the opportunity of re-visit Kuching.

Kuching's Visit 30th April 08 ~ 3rd May 08

As per my yearly task for the company that I am currently attached, it's always be my responsibility to organize our Company's Yearly Trip. And as for 2008, Kuching will be our destination.

I had made planning of visiting Kuching since last year and since then I had been doing surveyed about Kuching especially in tailoring a right travel iterineries and most important the total cost per person.

Here is my final 4 days 3 nights iterinery.

Day 1
> Departs from LCCT to Kuching (night flight)
> Check In to hotel

> Visit a Layered Cake Factory
> Free & easy in the late evening
> Dinner

Day 4
> Visit a distance village called Serikin (Malaysia/Indonesia border)
> Lunch
> Check out from the hotel
> Visit the Sarawak Museum
> Visit Satok Market
> To Kuching Airport and depart back to LCCT

The trip that I had organized to Kuching was a successful trip. Yeah we some hick-ups that was totally out of our control such as :-

1) Just before our flight took off to Kuching, one of our member had accidentally dropped his Identification Card into a tight and deep drain while walking towards the aircraft. He was asked by the officer of the aircraft to made a police report and was not allowed to board the plane. Anyhow, with a tremendous effort from all the Air Asia Ground Crew, they managed to get his Identification Card back, and of course the flight had been delayed for 15 minutes just because of this. I wish to thanks and give credit to Air Asia Ground Crew and the Captain of our flight that night(|Flight Air Asia AK5214|Departure Date 30 April 2008|Time 2110[re-timed]) for giving us the permission to make our last effort in getting the Identification Card. Also sorry to other passengers as for the delayed.

2) After reaching Kuching, another incident took place as another member was not allowed to enter Sarawak by the Immigration as her ID was not recognized. This was due to the fact that she is in the process of exchanging her ID Card and she only had a temporary legal ID with her. But what I felt bad about this incident was the way the Immigration Department (only 1 specific officer) handled this situation. He was very rude and treated us like we had did something that against the rules. They as the first line of contact to tourist should emphasize friendly approach and not to show the authority power in egoistic ways. Nevertheless, after a few discussion and lots of 'begging' done by myself, he allowed her to enter Sarawak.

We had limited time to explore more on what other things that Kuching can offer due to, hehehe, most of the member in my group did their shopping over the time limit that had been allocated. They really 'shop til you drop'. Nevertheless, as long as they were happy, as an organizer and tour leader, I feel happy for them even.

The weather in Kuching at the period of time was kinda hot and humid. So, out of my 29 participant, 2 of them had a fever right on the 2nd day while in Kuching and 9 of them fell sick (high fever, coughing and flu) right after coming back from this trip. I felt like getting sick on the last day but managed to overcome it with taking Paracetamol in scheduled before things get worst.

For those who wanted to see pictures taken as for this trip, you may see them at my Flickr page. I had taken more than 200 photos for this 4 days 3 nights trip.

Wishing of Re-Visit

I wish to re-visit Kuching again, maybe towards end of this year or early next year but this time to bring my family along. I knew that they will enjoy Kuching and I want to bring them to the Borneo Island for the first time.

• Last visit to Kuching: May 2008
  • Intro Updated May 10, 2008

Comments

Azri_Azmi

“Kindness is a treasure.....”

Badges & Stats in Kuching

Have you been to Kuching?

Latest Activity in Kuching