"My Melaka" Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka by Azri_Azmi

Melaka Travel Guide: 1,599 reviews and 3,935 photos

Melakanian

I was born here in March 1975. But only in year 2000 I start to live in Melaka. My primary schooldays & my secondary schooldays, I did all in Kuala Lumpur & Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan. Even I graduated from a local college in Kuala Lumpur. Never had a chance of knowing much about my hometown but during those years, I frequently travel to Melaka with my parents visiting my grandmother. Now, after 6 years staying in Melaka, I love my hometown a lot. The environments are so peaceful, away from city havoc and the people are friendly. In Melaka, I'm staying in the Tanjung Minyak district which is a 20 minutes drive from Melaka town and 10 minutes drive to the famous Klebang beach. I am working with a local company here based in Batu Berendam. Batu Berendam Airport is a landmark here and there will be a massive expension of this airport to cater big commercial aircraft such as Boeing 737 and Airbus A320. It is a good step to boost the travel industry here in Melaka because the nearest International Airport to Melaka is the Kuala Lumpur International Airport which is 1 1/2 hours away.

The History

Melaka being founded in the 1396 by Raja Iskandar (King Iskandar) a.k.a Parameswara. Because of its strategic location, Melaka became famous especially for foreign trader (strategic port/harbour) to trades varieties of goods. This then invited interest by foreign power to conquered Melaka and rules the Straits of Melaka.

Being invaded by Portugese in 1511, by the Dutch in 1641 in a vicious fight between Portugese & Dutch. In 1795, the Dutch handed Melaka to the British in avoiding being invaded by the French after Napoleon War. (The Dutch lost to the French). Being again handed to the Dutch by British in 1818 but then as an exchange to Bangkahulu Sumatera, the Dutch handed Melaka for the 2nd time to British in 1826 to syncronize British Colonial in Malaysia that inclusives of Melaka, Penang & Singapore.

What's So Special About Melaka

Although Melaka is situated 2 hours away from the capital Kuala Lumpur, it is an important state to visit. What I wanna stress out here that Melaka is a must visit place in Malaysia because here is the beginning of Malaysia. Visiting Melaka meant visiting Malaysia. And of course not to forget the elements below :-

> The History.
> The culture.
> The people.
> The food.
> And lots of interesting places......

• Pros:Many places to visit and learn pass history of Malaysia
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2006

• Jun 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hi, perhaps u can say what is the best way for going from melakka to ipoh? I ll be in melacca on july 17th...thanks alot

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 1:45 AM

thanks :) i will check later. im also busy at work. .. but the weather is really nice. today is around 29c!! summer again. time for my big big icecream .hahaha

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Hope to visit Melaka soon, this is a great page! Greetings, Pierre

• uncleawang's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Hi Azri, I'm visiting Melaka on 21/03/2008 xKL by bus.Any tip which hotel is nice to stay say below Rm100 coz next day I'm going to Johor by bus.Just short visit to shoot photo.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Great additional tips to your hometown Melaka. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• deedo's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Really impressing photos!!

• Jun 16, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Thanks for your tips!I'm visiting Melaka from Australia in october and really looking forward to it.Great to hear from a local!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 5:19 AM

I must visit Melaka on my next trip to Malaysia. Interesting page and great food tips.

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 11:58 PM

another lovely and informative malaysian page! so many interesting infos. i especially like the food tips...good for food trips eh? :0)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Always a good idea to have a friend in the antique shop. Looks like an interesting collection of lighting, plates, and clocks. All favorites of mine.

Azri_Azmi Lives Here!

Azri_Azmi

“Kindness is a treasure.....”

Badges & Stats in Melaka