"Winchester, Clark County" Winchester by Ericasmurf99
Winchester Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 4 photos
I am in Winchester alot because I have tons of family here. In fact, when I think of Thanksgiving or Christmas I think of Winchester.
This place would be a nice place to live; it's bigger than a small town yet smaller than a city. It is located just a few miles from Lexington and other nature places like Natural Bridge, Fort Boonsboro, and more.
Information taken from Winchester tourism website.
The City of Winchester was created in 1793 from 66 acres of land donated by a frontiersman named John Baker.
Winchester's Main Street is known to locals as the "White Way" because of the 5-globed lampposts that were originally gas-burning lights. Originating from the poem "Up Silver Stairs," pinned by author Jesse Stuart. They were removed in the mid-1950s in favor of brighter lights. In 1983, 10,000 people gathered in Winchester to celebrate the relighting and rebirth of the White Way with two of the original fixtures and many replicas. Replicas of these lamps have been installed along Main Street, and have been used as the official"signature" of the city of Winchester, various clubs and organizations.
Winchester has one of the few elevated sidewalks in the Commonwealth of Kentucky giving this area the name "High On Main."
This year it will be held August 31 - September 2, 2007. more travel advice
Ericasmurf99's Related Pages
Winchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winchester, Clark County"
- "Winchester, Kentucky"
- "Basaic Winchester Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winchester
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Winchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winchester
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 71 reviews, 206 photos, 6 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Liberty Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ruinas Kohunlích Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Florida Keys Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Nassau Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Roatán Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos