"West Liberty, Morgan County" West Liberty by Ericasmurf99

West Liberty Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 100 photos

Childhood Home

This is where I lived for most of my life and graduated high school from (class of 1999 - go Cougars!). My crazy life has me moving every so many years, so this would be what I consider "home".

My mother, brother, and more family and friends still reside here, so I try to come back and visit at least once a year. More if I am able.

This is definatly small town living. The population is just over 3000, many stores are just now taking credit/debit cards (when I say stores I mean the 3 Dollar stores, no WalMart in sight for at least 30 miles), the high school is really centered around football and FFA, churches out-number all other buildings, etc, etc, etc. But the people are really nice and would help anyone out - even if you are a "stranger".

And if you love nature, you can't beat Kentucky. West Liberty is covered with beautiful trees, flowers, rock formations, creeks, etc, and is close to many other places like Cave Run Lake and Natural Bridge.

Please enjoy my page.

West Liberty Factiods:

Town website: http://www.cityofwestliberty.com

West Liberty is located within the state's eastern region foothills about 20 miles from Cave Run Lake and Daniel Boone National Forest.

West Liberty celebrates the annual Sorghum Festival on the last weekend of September. Generally, the festival garners a few thousand each year, featuring a moderate variety of Appalachian crafts, local art, food, and other sundry items for sale and/or show. The festival also hosts a number of bluegrass performers. The festival is locally known for the "old mill," a horse-drawn sorghum mill, as well as the Sorghum Bowl, the local high school's homecoming football game.

West Liberty is home to the Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex. An extended campus branch of Morehead State University and University of Kentucky's Regional Technology Center are both located within the town.

Abraham Lincoln's uncle, Fielding Hanks, is reportedly one of several that helped establish the town and county in 1822.

War hero and Medal of Honor recipient William E. Barber was a graduate of the local high school.

• Intro Updated May 18, 2008

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2008 at 5:53 AM

OMG! I know EXACTLY where West Liberty is! I used to go to school at Morehead State and would drive back & forth to eastern Ky via West Liberty. :) I always thought it'd make a perfect 1950s setting for a movie - just grandly perfect on that main street.

Ericasmurf99

“A Whole New World ~ A Dazzling Place I Never Knew”

Badges & Stats in West Liberty

Have you been to West Liberty?

Latest Activity in West Liberty