"Key West, Florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Key West by Ericasmurf99

Key West Travel Guide: 2,042 reviews and 4,038 photos

Key West -- Home for July 2006 - July 2009
Key West!

I live in Key West, but I must admit I am not a conch. A conch is someone born and raised here. I am living here because I am currently stationed here, and I already have orders out of here. I am moving to Anchorage, Alaska in July 09! I am really excited. Key West is just not the place for me. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll have a great vacation here, I guess it is just different when you live in a tourist area. I'm always having to deal with drunk people in the streets. I'll be driving back from work and I'll have the green light, but there is always a drunk couple staggering across the road that I have to slam on my brakes for. Seriously, I'm all about having fun and a good time, but just because you are on vacation does not mean the rules, laws, and respect for others magically disappear. I'm also not much into water sports. I've enjoyed snorkling every now and then, but I'm just really not into all of it.

Key West and your wallet...

The most important thing I can tell you about Key West is that you should never have to pay full price for anything. Discounts are available everywhere...you just have to look. For example, the Key West Aquarium is $12.00 to get in. BUT if you are a local you can get in free, military is $9.00, seniors/children is $4.50, and everyone else out there can just go online and buy an Aquaruim ticket for $8.00. And it's like that for all the attractions (Hemingway House, Water trips, Conch train, etc, etc). NEVER SETTLE FOR THE FULL PRICE! If you are human and breathing there is a discount out there for you. See below for some sites you can visit to get cheaper tickets:

www.HistoricTours.com

Located on Sigsbee, Bldg V-4113
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 0800-20000, Weekends: 0800-1700
Phone: (305)293-4173/4174
They accept Visa and MasterCard
(These prices are adult prices. I included the price of what you would pay at the gate to show you how much of a discount you are getting)

Attraction -------------- Gate ----------MWR/ITT Price
Wild About Dolphins ------$91.38 ---------$77.00
White Knuckle Boat -------$63.43 ---------$52.00
Yankee Freedom -----------$164.00 -------$145.00
Dry Tortugas

Shhhhhh here are some Locals' Secrets: All the ATM's in Key West will charge about $2.50 for a fee, but the ATM located at the Publix grocery store only charges $1.00. Publix is close to many hotels on North Roosevelt, so if you are staying in one of those it may be worth stopping by for cash here rather than on Duval.

Also, the week leading up to Christmas is free travel on the bus! (This is to encourage locals to buy gifts from local merchants rather than go to Miami malls or internet shop). So if you are visiting during the Christmas holiday season, take the bus! It is free!

• Pros:Something for everyone
  • Cons:Can get crowded, drunk people doing dumb things
  • In a nutshell:Key West is nice, but don't forget the other Keys!!
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2009

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Nice page. Maybe they have cracked down on the T-shirt places, but they used to do custom shirts and then make the price much higher than quoted.

• Feb 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM

My husband and I have never been to Key West so your site was very helpful! Thank you!!

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM

It seems that the restaurant chains in Key West are different from the ones in the rest of the us. I've been to a Margarittaville once too and the food was good. Even the fish was real fish according to my travel companion.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM

My daughter is visiting KW right now with a friend and her family. Hope it's nice weather. :) Sorry you got jimmied at Cheeseburger's. Our visit last summer was much nicer.

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 2:19 AM

My spouse is working for the Royal Netherlands Airforce. My wish is to live in KW for a couple of years. Unfortunally the Netherlands has no department in KW. KW is my little Paradise. I love the people, the sun, the flowers. I love it all! Bye!!

• Jan 21, 2007 at 8:40 AM

I've been spending the morning looking at some of the current tips of Key West and I learned about a couple of places that I hadn't eaten at before. We will be down in November after being away for 3 years and I appreciate your tips.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 2:40 PM

great tips! I will be out here for a day in late jan!

Ericasmurf99 Used To Live Here!

Ericasmurf99

“A Whole New World ~ A Dazzling Place I Never Knew”

Badges & Stats in Key West

Have you been to Key West?

Photos in Key West